• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bilsteins on Rusty’s leafs

Sonic16

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone running Bilstein 5100’s on their rusty’s 3” lift kit (or on just the 3.5” leaf)? If so, which rear strut did you go with? They have 2-3” and 3.5-4”. This kind of falls in the middle).

The most correct answer is: Measure the full compression and extension of the suspension and purchase the shocks that fit. Shocks that are too long become the bumps stops and do not survive very long.

Make sure the bump stops are extended as much as is required.

Last edited:
I agree, but I've found it hard to measure up travel with leafs.
When a shock is operated too close to bump or jounce it doesn't last long.

I would take the stackup value (lift value of springs, shackles, blocks<shudder>), and use that as a basis to tentatively select a set of shocks. Then, without shocks, I would hang the vehicle by the frame in front of the rear wheels to get the droop. Measure from the axle side shock mount to the rear K frame. That's the shortest the shock needs to be to get the most down travel, and compare that to the extended value of the chosen shocks. If that length or a tad longer -OK, if not, select a longer shock.

Then I would bump stop the up travel. The compressed value of the shock (-) the distance from the rear K frame to the bump stop mount should be about the size of bump stop.

I shoot for having bump stops bottoming completely out 0-1/2" before shocks.

Why will a shock not last long that is not hitting metal to metal but is close be harder on it than say one that has 1" of free space after bump stop does its thing

I try to get all I can out of my shocks. I dont always succeed after burning things in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back