• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange trailer hitch ball mount

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi ....

I am trying to source a trailer ball mount to slip into the receiver that drops the ball lower AND curves down and forward in a C shape such that the ball is located forward of the receiver rather than behind the receiver?

I need this to resolve a parking space length issue. I want to be able to move the ball forward to reduce the over all length of the truck/trailer combo by maybe a foot or so at least. The truck is lifted so there is plenty of room to drop the ball below the receiver then double back and move the ball forward.

I dont know what to call such a ball mount if it has a specific name, been interweb searching, nothing yet

Thanks!

Is this something that exists, or something you have thought of that would solve a single specific problem for a single specific person (you)?

Would you tow with it, or switch for parking?

If you tow with it, would your turning angle be limited by having less effective tongue length?

If just for parking, no dynamic loads, probably even have the jack down, you could probably have one made for cash and no paperwork.

its to solve a parking problem with a neighbor's trailer, if he can shorten his rig by one or two feet it will prevent a parking war. this part can be made strong enough, nothing engineering wise to make this not safe if made with good metal and welds, standard hitch grade stuff. Anyway just a wondering if something is like that already.

Im not sure i understand what is being talked about.

I do know length is good for stability, today far to many people tow with small suvs and light pickups, couple feet shorter could put trailer corner into vehicle while turning tight going forward.

Draft it up with materials, list maybe I'll have a better response with a visual

I think he's looking for something like this. Maybe for parking only but I wouldn't tow with it.

Untitled-presentation.jpg
[/url]
facebook share link code[/IMG]

If it's just for parking, then why not just drop the trailer, lower the tongue and then back the truck up over the tongue?

What your describing does not sound suitable or safe for towing, and if only for parking it sounds like added complication and work than just parking the truck over the tongue.

Some jurisdictions may have regulations that trailers may not be left standing in the roadway, unhitched. Having the “parking hitch” would mean that the trailer is, well, hitched. Then you are only subject to “vehicles may only be parked in the street for 72 hours” which becomes the next complaint of a neighbor who is tired of having a trailer parked in front of their house.

Actually towing with it would potentially be a challenge, as the tongue pivot point being moved a foot forward would cause the front of the trailer to be much closer to the truck in tight turns. Also, the tongue jack may need to be moved backward to allow the ball to even be hooked up, or the handle turned.

Somebody would have to fabricate that themselves.

I cannot imagine any competent fabricator would be willing to create that, if for no other reason than the liability.

Back