• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust rust rust

VictorVonSwank

NAXJA Forum User
Rust rust rust!

I have a 98xj(125 K miles)and live in the rust belt of Pittsburgh Pa. My ride has deteriorated rapidly in the past few years. Possibly from having it moved to 2nd car beater status and a few recent snowy winters.

Everything seems to be so rusted and I'm wondering if I'm being overly critical or the rust is truly excessive.
Maybe less of a question and just a statement and coming to the realization that this thing has a life span and maybe I didn't do enough prevention :(

Rocker panels rusted through below rear doors.
Every tubing piece and lines are an unidentifiable rod of rust, steering lines, cooling lines, brake lines, some on the fuel line. Ew, rear brake lines look scary!
Knuckles, axles, steering pump, shock mounts are just one big clump of rust chipping off in big chunks.
Drive shafts are completely covered in rust lumps up to .25 inch high.
Most undercarriage sheet metal seams are rusted with huge flakes peeling off.
Of course the 10 year old Tomken bumper is a joke at this point.
Rust bubbles in the corners of the roof in the front near the wind shield and roof rack.
Even my stainless Banks header is rusted.
And maybe the worst, rusty oil pan. A few spots are scary and wondering if i can patch it with something or weld a skin.
Everything, just hideously rusted. Wont be posting any pics as I'm sure you've all seen it before.
Why do they use so much bare steel in these things? At least i dont recall the block or steering pump being painted.

I just don't see it being worth fixing any of it.

Last edited:
Rust rust rust!

I have a 98xj and live in the rust belt of Pittsburgh Pa. My ride has deteriorated rapidly in the past few years. Possibly from having it moved to 2nd car beater status and a few recent snowy winters.

Everything seems to be so rusted and I'm wondering if I'm being overly critical or the rust is truly excessive.
Maybe less of a question and just a statement and coming to the realization that this thing has a life span and maybe I didn't do enough prevention :(

Rocker panels rusted through below rear doors.
Every tubing piece and lines are an unidentifiable rod of rust, steering lines, cooling lines, brake lines, some on the fuel line. Ew, rear brake lines look scary!
Knuckles, axles, steering pump, shock mounts are just one big clump of rust chipping off in big chunks.
Drive shafts are completely covered in rust lumps up to .25 inch high.
Most undercarriage sheet metal seams are rusted with huge flakes peeling off.
Of course the 10 year old Tomken bumper is a joke at this point.
Rust bubbles in the corners of the roof in the front near the wind shield and roof rack.
Even my stainless Banks header is rusted.
And maybe the worst, rusty oil pan. A few spots are scary and wondering if i can patch it with something or weld a skin.
Everything, just hideously rusted. Wont be posting any pics as I'm sure you've all seen it before.
Why do they use so much bare steel in these things? At least i dont recall the block or steering pump being painted.

I just don't see it being worth fixing any of it.

Time for a new ride and a new home.....I love it down here in Colorado!! Very little rust on my Heep!

I have found that the thing that helps the most during very harsh winters are frequent washes. Its that salt and sand staying on the undercarriage that is very harmful. See if there's a place around you that you can get a monthly unlimited car wash at that lets you stay in the car while they wash it. That's what I have here, it's really nice to have during the winter.

Back