• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rust

School near Minneapolis? I have access to a heated shop. Painted already or not? Wipe them down with an oil soaked rag once a week and wait til spring to clean and paint them. I think it cost me about $35. to have my (raw metal) rock rails cleaned and powder coat painted.

Tim_MN said:
School near Minneapolis? I have access to a heated shop. Painted already or not? Wipe them down with an oil soaked rag once a week and wait til spring to clean and paint them. I think it cost me about $35. to have my (raw metal) rock rails cleaned and powder coat painted.

what type of oil? just regular motor oil? thanks

Yes, plain motor oil. It will be messy, but it will keep some of the salt and water away. The shop is only about 1 1/4 hour away from you. I have keys so we could work at night or the weekend.

Hey bro, you gotta bust that rust. Stop the corosion and, like every one else said, keep a barier on the exposed area until you can repaint.

shotstopper said:
Close to Minniapolis, im actually at St. Olaf College. They were painted already but apparently not very well

OMG there is a St. Olaf, just like Rose from golden girls used to talk about. Come spring time put some POR15 or some eastwood rust inhibator paint.

does xylene or laquer thinner do anything about rust? or is that just a metal cleaner cause that might work

Shomsky462 said:
does xylene or laquer thinner do anything about rust? or is that just a metal cleaner cause that might work
It should clean the metal up nice for more rust to form, pretty much the opposite of the oil trick someone suggested. Don't do that.

From my expirence in MI, powdercoat does not hold up to the salt as well as paint. Im not sure if they pour the salt on as heavy in MN, as MI, but its something you may want to think about. Personally I'd keep them decent untill spring, then hit them with some black rustoleum.

Yep lottsa salt in mn
and some worse liquid form cloride somthing or other they splash on the bridges.
I agree dont powder coat it is the least cost effective por is a great way to go especaly if you already have rust>
tim made yo an excellent offer and im not trying to step on his toes but i"m better than an hr west of mpls in st cloud if thats closer you could use my garage

Tim_MN said:
Yes, plain motor oil. It will be messy, but it will keep some of the salt and water away. The shop is only about 1 1/4 hour away from you. I have keys so we could work at night or the weekend.

Yeah, I'd be up for that if it works for you, just let me know how much so I know if I have enough. Thanks a ton.
Tyler

Back