• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wire size for welding grooves in steering knuckle

country2

NAXJA Forum User
Got some grooves to fill in where the pads rubbed and wondering about wire size to use. Right now my welder is set up for .024 as its what I used for welding my floor pans in with. I have some .030 wire but no tip and some flux core wire think its .034 but I never liked using flux core.

Would there be a issue using the thinner .024 wire as long as I turn up the speed and preheat the casting on steering knuckle or would it be better to use a larger size wire?I would like to do it once and not worry about it for a while. Thanks!

Weld them up and grind flush. It doesn't really matter.

The type of wire does matter though.

We use 030 without preheat at our shop. With a very high rate of success. I would think the wire speed would need to be run pretty quick to insure a good arc on the 025.

Hth

Pre-heating is good but I would "stitch" weld if your machine has it, other wise I would do a bunch of spot welds.

Pre-heating is good but I would "stitch" weld if your machine has it, other wise I would do a bunch of spot welds.

Was planning on doing spot welds as I was told due to the carbon that would be the best...do a spot clean and spot again clean and repeat. Is that true.

Stitch guess you mean going top to bottom of the worn area just space them out then fill in between?

No, a machine that has electrical welding pulses, you control the time between welds(micro-seconds to seconds).

No, a machine that has electrical welding pulses, you control the time between welds(micro-seconds to seconds).

Naw, I have the EM 215IC MIG WELDER so no stitch welding. Knew I should of went with the Rebel EMP 215ic as I think it does but was afraid more functions more stuff to tear up.

Was planning on doing spot welds as I was told due to the carbon that would be the best...do a spot clean and spot again clean and repeat. Is that true.

Stitch guess you mean going top to bottom of the worn area just space them out then fill in between?

This is the way I did it and it worked out fine for me. I also made sure my spot welds got hot and melted in (bonded) well.

Weld filler wire with a high nickel content and a TIG machine is preferred , but lots of people have just used basic weld wire in a MIG machine.

I preheated the area and filled it all in at once with a wire feed welder, no problem.

Just want to say I got it done also replaced front/rear brakes, front calipers, master cylinder and front brake lines as they were rusted pretty bad. Was going to replace rear lines too but someone had already replaced the one from the front that goes to the rear. rear cylinders looked good so even though I had new ones left them alone mainly due to the fact NOTHING has gone as plan during the last close to 3 weeks I have been working on this as I rebuilt entire front end and brakes now just wanting to relax for a week or so..lol

Even God rested a day. Well done!

Back