• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start- Intermittent heat related issues

Logan-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
-= crankshaft position sensor REPLACED=-

After doing a tune-up including sparkplugs, dist., cap, wires, cleaned IAC and whatever is between IAC and throttle body with TB cleaner, and some carb and choke cleaner on accident (briefly, not too much wrong bottle same color doy) my jeep will not start.

It had the typical about to die cps features, the two times before it died I had to turn it over longer, I had a feeling something was going ca-put. I pulled out the IAC and cleaned it, it was ugly and I had to pull it out *carefully* with my big pliers.

was strong running 4.0
217xxx
aw-4

My cps A would test around 130-132 on by multimeter when cold but i believed when hot would fail.

I have checked the battery at my local parts store, fuses in box next to battery all check out, and it smells like gas when i turn the ignition to the run position in an attempt to start it.

the short:

smells like gas, (pressed schrader valve at rail and a huge shot came out, way more than expected - be a mist?) - so i think the fuel delivery system is fine the jeep was running strong and the last 4 fillups have seen lucas. I have a inline fuel filter was gonna put that on eventually, don't expect thats causing my NO START problem.

I think spark may be the problem, except when i tried to turn it over the first time after the new plugs, and the first time after checking the battery it fired right up and died like it was hating me and something was shutting it down

I put in champion plugs that the trusty old guy at napa recomended, and most of you have run very well in the past.

I have tried turning the key to run in -N- and -P-, I have been having starter problames that i have been solving with my BFH or when on the road a huge rod
devil.gif
With some help occasionaly (1/10 starts or very cold) the starter is turning over and sounds like it is working as it should.

I went ahead and concluded that it was infact the crankshaft position sensor on the bellhousing. I replaced it with the niehoff AL2205, which fit perfectly and tests at 192 on my meter.

What should I do, I can upload some pictures of whatever ASAP I just dont really know what to look for anymore - any ideas, pas experiences, or just say im a noob for buying niehoff parts - i looked at mopar but it was 50 bucks more wanted like 130!

You need to find out exactly what you're missing, fuel or spark or quality spark.

Try spraying a bit of starting fluid into the intake. If it starts and runs momentarily, you have a fuel delivery problem.

Check for spark. Remove a plug, keep it hooked up to wire, Place plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine. Look for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Yellow/orange = weak spark.

Check coil wire with a meter to be sure it's okay, even if new. Your ignition coil can be tested for primary/secondary resistance.

Good luck and let us know what you find.....

You say that it started up when you put the new plugs in and then it died. Pull a plug back out and see if it is fouled out with gas. You say you smell gas and you've been cranking and cranking. If that plug is wet, pull them all and clean them with spray start. Crank the engine with the plugs out to get the excess gas out of the cylinders. Put plugs back in and try again. You also said that you had put the battery back in before it started last time. If the plug is dry when you pull it, how about disconnecting the battery again, reconnect after a minute or so, and try to start again.

Back