• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Parasitic load issue. Related to HVAC system.

iant333

NAXJA Forum User
Battery on my XJ (2001) has been dieing recently, only takes about 3 hours to fully drain. Another funny issue I noticed was that the blower would not turn off when you took the key out of the ignition, it stayed on and you could turn it on with the key out of the ignition.

Did the multimeter and fuse pulling thing and the load was about 1.5 amps with all the fuses in. With the interior fuse 25 (owners manual says it related to the climate control) and the PDC ACC/Run and Blower fuses removed the load drops down alot closer to spec at 0.076 amps. Still a bit high but I'm not as concerned about that for now.

Anyone have any idea what I should replace? It doesn't seem like a direct short or there would be much more current flow, all I got from searching was something about some resistor block but I'm not even sure what that is, I don't know very much about vehicle wiring.

I unplugged and plugged the ignition switch back in and now the blower shuts off when the key is off. Didn't expect it to be that easy. I still have to check the load though to see if that is fixed, I wasn't paying attention and had the meter lead on my DVOM in the wrong plug and blew the fuse. Have to go buy another but I'll go back and check in a few hours.

Back