• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA Trick

beckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I'm about half way through installing my new lower control arms. We have the arms attached at the frame end, but need a trick to move the axle forward about two-three inches. Anybody have any tricks? We don't really want to jack the vehicle up, but I'm starting to think this is the only thing that will work.... Any inspiration would be wonderful. Thanks.

use a come along if you've got one.
XJ-RAnger posted about using a pipe wrench and then a jack on the en of it to rotate his into position. This has been covered about 3 times in the last month.

A small jack beneath the spring plates works well too - just be careful that it does not slip, I lost a big chunk of my finger when this happened to me, but I wasn't paying enough attention and had it coming.

stock bottle jack between the frame and the axle will push it forward enough. Seems as if that little bottle jack was made for this.

The easiest way that I found was to put the tires on, with the vehicle on jackstands, and roll the axle forward.

I got it, I came up with some ingenious idea that actually worked wonderfully. Took it out for a test drive... HELL of a differance. I'm happy I bought these things. Woot.

get a friend to turn the tire by hand and it ill usully move enough to allow you to get it in.

i wish i would have known more when i put mine in...i spent a few hours pulling and tugging, then just drove the thing around for a few min and the axle moved itself :)

anyone got any good tips for puttin new LCA brackets on a dana 30 front axle?

I've used a ratchet strap, around axle and around the swaybar. Crank it until it lines up. Quick and easy.

Back