• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random Jeep starting issues

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
So i go to work, work the day, get in my jeep and leave. park it, get out, get back in 2 mins later, go to start it and turn the key, and absolutely nothing happens, it doesnt attempt to fire up or even make any sort of noise, all that happens is the battery goes on as if i didnt turn the key all the way to start. i try this like 10 times before i give up and wait 5 mins, 5 mins later, i turn the key and it fires up as if nothing happened. this happened to me once like a month ago, and a few months before that, seems very very rare but random, anyone ever had something like this happen? i just wanna be able to solve a problem before it really starts if i have to :D

</long post>

Might have better luck in OEM tech forum...

but it sounds like a CPS sensor going south.

Top of the bellhousing between the engine and tranny

Try a search for "cps no start" in the OEM forum...lots of stock info there

If it doesn't even crank than it's probably not the CPS. Try switching the starter relay in the PDC for a known good one.

Kyung

Auto tranny, right?

Try starting it in neutral next time this happens. Most likely its the switch on the side of the tranny that tells the tranny what gear the Jeep's in. I forget the name of the switch, but I took it off and cleaned it up and have had no issues since. When the switch gets gummed up, it is basically stuck in a position where it is telling the tranny that you are still in drive, when you are actually in park.

Oh, and this goes in the OEM tech forum :) .

My Jeep does the same thing occasionally (there isn't any ryhme or reason to it), I was told that it was my neutral safety sensor in the shifter. All I have to do is move the shifter around in either park or neutral until it finds a place that it would like to start. I hope this helps a little.

Bassmastabruce said:
My Jeep does the same thing occasionally (there isn't any ryhme or reason to it), I was told that it was my neutral safety sensor in the shifter. All I have to do is move the shifter around in either park or neutral until it finds a place that it would like to start. I hope this helps a little.

That's the name! Neutral Safety Switch or NSS. Search for that and you'll come up with a ton of info.

corbinafly said:
If it doesn't even crank than it's probably not the CPS. Try switching the starter relay in the PDC for a known good one.

Kyung

DOH!!!

Missed that part...

Intermittent no start w/cranking is usually the CPS.

Neutral start switch/backup light switch usual culprit w/no cranking...

Back