• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pan gaskets

wascobi

NAXJA Forum User
gonna change the oil pan gasket and rear main seal this weekend. went to get my parts and the counterdude says I cant use a one piece gasket on my '90. he said "the book says one piece is for'92 and up, wont fit your '90" is this guy on crack? dosn't everyone change up to the new style?

I've used the one piece on an 88 and an 89 before. Both worked fine and were much easier than the 4 piece setup.

I used the one piece on my 88 XJ. When I went to the dealer they brought out the one piece, I did not even have to ask for it over the 4 piece version.

You've just discovered the not-so-elusive "Parts Droid" - a creature with less than two functional bran cells to rub together...

The basic 4.0 block has not changed since inception, so the gasket will work - just like the basic Chevvy Small Block is pretty much the same all the way up, with internal differences, the external stuff and basic parts will bolt to pretty much ANY SBChevvy.

While the internal specifications of some 4.0 parts changed, the valve cover gasket, oil sump gasket, front covers, timing sets, heads, and suchlike can all be swapped. Even if there are internal changes (which may or may not be good for you - depends on what you are trying to do) the essential dimensions of everything is still the same.

Get the one-piece gasket. I've not used one, but the reports from here are outstanding.

5-90

Installed a 1 piece pan gasket on an 88 during the Moab NAXJA event this past October.
When you install the gasket make sure the surfaces of the pan and the block are CLEAN; then apply a dab of RTV where the timing chain cover meets the block so that oil will not seep out or under the pan gasket.

Last edited:
Also --

The old style timing chain cover (used with the old 4-piece gasket set) has some little holes in the bottom mating surface that contacts the front leg of the pan gasket. The old front gasket had rubber pins that used those holes for alignment. The new gasket doesn't use the pins, and those holes should be sealed with RTV before installing the gasket. They go completely through to the timing chain gallery, and if not sealed they can weep past the gasket.

Back