• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 RENIX cherokee low rough idle when cold and high idle when warmed up

Sgtscrooge

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy, so ive been scowering old forum threads for a long time trying to figure out my issue but i just seem to have ALL of them. So i decided to finally
Register an account and ask myself. First of all, i have an 87’ cherokee cheif running the origional Renix system with a 92’ block. It allways starts up, gets me
Where ever i want to go and brings me back home too. So here the issue, ever since i baught the jeep, its allways had some idle issues. When its cold it has a slight missfire. It also needs to be given throttle to start or it will just go down to really low rpm sputter and die. And second, once its warmed up it idles in park at around 2,000 rpm, i can smell that it seems To be running on the rich side. Along with theese things the transmission doesnt like to shift until about 4,000 rpm under very little load. My next moves are to replace the MAP sensor, the TPS sensor and the IAC sensor and see where that gets me, ive also read that i should clean the factory grounds as they were a bit sub par.

You have a renix system so first check all the sensors before just replacing. This site has testing instructions. http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Index.htm

But temp related sounds to me like leak that seals up as the metal expands. If you haven’t done seafoam or the like that works wonders for finding leaks in the exhaust as it will smoke if there is carbon on the pistons. BUT seafoam will kill your o2 sensor and possibly clog up a cat if it’s really bad. I had a lot of corrosion in the old splices and connectors when I had a renix and I completely went through the entire electrical system and redid all the bad spots and the car ran better with updated grounds and wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a renix system so first check all the sensors before just replacing. This site has testing instructions. http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Index.htm

But temp related sounds to me like leak that seals up as the metal expands. If you haven’t done seafoam or the like that works wonders for finding leaks in the exhaust as it will smoke if there is carbon on the pistons. BUT seafoam will kill your o2 sensor and possibly clog up a cat if it’s really bad. I had a lot of corrosion in the old splices and connectors when I had a renix and I completely went through the entire electrical system and redid all the bad spots and the car ran better with updated grounds and wires.

Thanks for that link, saved me from buying manuals. thats probably the most helpful resource ive found so far, tomorrow morning im gonna go over and test the sensors and re-do my grounds, the emissions system on mine uh stopped working ;) so i dont really need to worry about that what type of seafoam? because there is a spray type and a liquid type right? and the only other thing i was maybe thinking of if it doesnt get fixed was maybe if i could somhow put a holley efi system on it and completley remove the bendix stuff.

Before wasting any time on other things, go to www.cruiser54.com and complete Tips 1 through 5. Checking the intake manifold manifold bolts to make sure they're snug is also an excellent idea.

Please report back after that and we can guide you further if needed. Tip 1 in particular is in play here, but don't skip the others.

Check the sensors, do cruisers tips, check the intake/exhaust bolts FIRST. And you say that there is no emission stuff which I presume means you removed yourself. In that case make sure that you properly sealed vacuum tubes and electrical connectors or everything that you modified. An unsealed egr plate or leaking vacuum tube or connector grounding itself out by bouncing around sending false signals to the computer.

I think you likely have multiple issues going on. Before you buy a new IAC clean out the IAC well and seat. Put a drop or two of penetrating oil down the IAC plunger shaft. Don't mess with the plunger at all, don't try to move it.
Then ohm test your TPS ground from the ground to battery minus. Then adjust the TPS. Be careful of the TPS screws, wiggle them before you try to loosen. If you manage to get them out without snapping one off, grease (or anti-seize) the threads before reinstalling. You may need a new TPS but it is worth a try to get a good ground and adjust it first. TPS hates water or most any other liquid.
Buying parts and hoping to get lucky is often the least rewarding way of solving issues. The connectors in the Renix are notorious for being corroded, the corrosion can mess with the sensor feeds, the same with the grounds.

Back