• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX5 oil change.. synthetic/semi/mineral ??

Norwegian

NAXJA Forum User
Research has lead me to believe i can now safely put 10W 30 in my AX5. However i'm debating whether ot not it needs to be synthetic.

For old leaky engines mineral oils help keep them from leaking (as bad) but will that transfer to gearboxes as well?

In short :
Synthetic, semi synth. or mineral oil for my AX5?

Yeah i know. Not quite that simple over here tho.. I'd have to order it from the U.S i think, which would be stupid expensive

I run 10/30 in my AX15 and now it shifts like a dream! Well much better at least. Had it that way for a year and 10k.

Remember that motor oil will break down MUCH faster than gear oil, and needs to be changed far more frequently, especially since it's unfiltered. I'd say 10k is about the limit and it's time for a change.

Which is one of the many reasons i refuse to put motor oil in my transmission, regardless of what Chrysler says in order to save a buck.

I forget, does the AX5 have aluminum or brass synchros? This will affect what GL grade gear lube you would want to use, but synthetic 10w30 should be fine either way.

afaik they're brass, so no GL5. And apparently GL4 is no good either (?)

I figured finding a suitable 10w 30 oil would be easy.. however.. it should not be API C spec'd. And pretty much all new motor oils today are.
Now i'm at a loss here. Is Dexron II/III no good?

Dexron is wayyyyyy too thin for a splash lubed manual transmission. It's well below a 0 weight motor oil viscosity wise, iirc. Looks like an AX5 is splash lubed like most MTs, except for possibly the 2wd output housing hardware and bearings, which seem to be lubed by a pipe and a scraper that grabs oil off one of the gears.

Yeah, i figured. Any thoughts on the API C.. thing?
I've found oils only marked API S.. but the specs also say they are recommended for API C.. use.
I'm confused..

API C is Compression ignition, i.e. diesel. API S is Spark ignition, i.e. gas. That's about all I know :dunno:

brass syncros. GL-3 or GL-4 is good for these transmissions (can't find GL-3 anymore). GL-5 will harm the brass.

I've been running Mobil 1 Syn. 10w 30 for the last couple of years now. No noticeable change from when I used MT90. But my AX5 was noisy and slow to shift when I bought the car.

IMO, you shouldn't need to worry too much about the trans oil getting "dirty" because it's not part of the combustion process, no hot gasses, no gasoline, no coolant trying to get forced between the gears.

Mike

Back