• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How long do your oil pan gaskets last?

BALTANAKT

NAXJA Forum User
Got under the Jeep yesterday. After about 3 years since the last replacement, it's leaking. I know the 4.0 is prone to leaks, but it just go me thinking, how long should I have expected it to hold?

Well my first one went 400,000 miles.On the other XJ,s265,000 and 150,000 respectably.

350,000+. No leaks so far. The valve cover gasket I replaced at about 150,000. No leaks also.

Didn't know replacing pan gasket was a thing. Your pan bolts tight?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mileage unknown had same oil pan gasket for 10 years or so I did replace the valve cover gasket probably 8 years ago.

3 years and about 20K miles ago I replaced my original oil pan gasket with a Fel-pro one piece gasket. Still doing great.

Valve cover gaskets are another matter entirely. I cannot seem to get those to seal well for more than a year. I get a great seal to the valve cover, but I keep getting leaks between the head and the gasket.

A couple of tricks, the bolt holes get a little cone-shaped on the pan, lightly hammer them flat. I found the composite gaskets smeared with high temp silicone on both sides to be the best, Felpro second best. Don't over tighten the bolts, a drop of Loc Tite will keep them from backing out. If the gasket shrinks the bolts may loosen (without the Loc Tite). If you overtighten the bolts on some gaskets you can split the gasket.

Thanks for posting fellas!

Using Felpro myself. I re-torqued the bolts a few months ago just for good measure. Wonder if that screwed it up! It's just a little weep at the moment at least.

I used to have an old '88 BMW 325iX. That pan did not use a gasket at all. It used this stuff called Curill instead and held up great.

Yeah, the right stuff was developed by gm in place of gaskets on their diesels, its freaking amazing, my xj doesnt leak a drop, I use it everywhere I can, gaskets, orings, etc.

A couple of tricks, the bolt holes get a little cone-shaped on the pan, lightly hammer them flat. I found the composite gaskets smeared with high temp silicone on both sides to be the best, Felpro second best. Don't over tighten the bolts, a drop of Loc Tite will keep them from backing out. If the gasket shrinks the bolts may loosen (without the Loc Tite). If you overtighten the bolts on some gaskets you can split the gasket.

I use loctite as well but recommend the "blue" variety. Blue loctite will snug them up nice but is removable. If you go with red you can have issues getting them off again.

Also, if using silicon which tends to shrink as it cures, I very barely snug the bolts at first. Let it sit for a bit and setup a little harder and then do the final torque.

Also, if using silicon which tends to shrink as it cures, I very barely snug the bolts at first. Let it sit for a bit and setup a little harder and then do the final torque.

On top of that I won't do the final torque or running the motor for at least 24hrs after a thorough cleaning!

Yes. Had to hammer mine flat

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back