• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Position Sensor

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed a new TPS in my '96 Country. The old one, a junkyard piece, was working, but the engine would take an extra second or two to settle down when lifting off the gas while driving. With the new one, however, the engine wants to idle at about 1200, in or out of gear. I just called Rock Auto, but the salesperson suggested I call back during the day, so they could speak with Standard, to see if possibly it's a defective piece. I put the old one back in, so I can drive it to work.
Does this make sense? It's a relatively simple part.

If you can change a problem by changing a part, then you have the problem in your hand. If the JY part works fine and the new part doesn't, seems to me the new part has a problem.

Since your ECM remembers settings, you have to reset it so it can relearn with the new sensor.

If that doesn't work, I would put the old part back in and see of the behavior changes back.

My bet - it's a bunk part.

I'd try another junkyard one though. They're what, 5 bucks at the junkyard vs 30-50 at the store? 6-10 for the price of one... I like those odds.

The one on there now is from the JY-I just want the engine to stop pulling, however gently, when I lift my foot. I had the original go out about a year ago. I was climbing a hill on the Interstate, and the engine skipped a beat-not bad, and just once. But, it threw a CEL, and when I got home, I got the scanner out, and it said TPS. I went to the JY and came home with the only one I could find from a '96, bastard year that it is. I compared them both with my Fluke, and the original had a definite dead spot in it, and the 'new' one didn't. It runs OK, tranny shifts fine, etc. I just wanted to take care of all the odds and ends before it gets too cold....
So, long story short, should I disconnect the battery, let it sit awhile, and install the new one, or just play roulette with new ones? Can't wait to install the new CPS!

Well, I just re-installed the 'new' TPS, and it WORKED! After, of course, disconnecting the battery, and then having dinner. Cleaned up the dishes, then removed the old piece, put in the new one, re-connected the battery, and turned the key. Started right up, idled down to where it belongs, took it for a little ride, and everything seems OK. Add this to the list of things that need a reboot when swapping parts. I've read through 'search' where many folks (including myself) have had problems when swapping a TPS, and I wonder how many don't know of the need for a reboot?

Glad you got it. Thanks for the followup!

I cooked too.....And fed the dog and the cat, made the coffee, THEN went back down to the garage. Going to do the new injectors tomorrow-hope they do what's promised.

Another update...The 'new' TPS has been acting up, confusing the new IAC. The idle would swing from almost stalling to about 2k, whether cold or hot. Just the thing you need while stopped in traffic. Almost didn't want to run at all this morning, and threw a code. It confirmed my suspicion, the scanner said TPS. Ironically, I was heading to the JY, and I came home with a variety of formerly loved TPSs and IACs. I used a silver paint Sharpie to record the year and mileage of the pieces. I chose a TPS from a '94 with 109k miles, installed it, re-booted the computer, took it for a ride, and it behaved beautiful. So, maybe I can put my tools away for a while.....

Back