• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME 3" lift - prep and extras??

I bought the Medium Duty OME Cherokee Lift (Springs and Shocks) from Rocky Road Outfitters (https://www.rocky-road.com/old-man-emu-xj-cherokee.html) spent a lot of time discussing it with them before hand. I have aftermarket bumpers that are quite heavy (ARB Winch Bumper, and Smittbilt XRC Tire Carrier). I am only looking to run 30" and am only looking for about 2" of lift so that's why I went Medium duty, it sounds like that will run closer to 2". I didn't remove a leaf from the rear because the XRC bumper with tire carrier is quite heavy and I figured removing a leaf would be too much. I don't remember the exact part numbers of the springs I got, but I'll try and find it. At their suggestion I also got the 10mm trim packer for the front springs. I also got bushings, ubolts, adj track bar, and tie rod w/ ends to do while I'm at it.

I'd like to do it myself, but I don't have the time or the space so I have a mechanic friend installing it for me right now. He's done the rear so far and it looks quite high but that might just be the way it looks since the front is still stock, I haven't had a chance to measure it. I'll let you know how it turns out, I'm hoping I won't have to go in and take out a leaf, I don't have time to be swapping out the leafs back and forth experimenting with the ride height only for it to settle again in a few months and have to put it back in, argh..
Sorry for bumping but FYI, if anyone is interested I just got mine back from getting the OME lift. I had the 930X coils, but I don't remember what leafs.

It ended up giving me about +1.5" in the front and +3.75" in the rear. However I had the factory upcountry package (+1") and the rears were sagging so thats probably why I have so much difference in the rear and so little in the front. The guy I had do it forgot to put in the 10mm trim packers in front, but he didn't charge much so I'm not mad. I have about 2" of rake right now (measuring from the fenders), but it sounds like the leaves will settle some and when I load it up for trips it should go down so hopefully will level out some. I think Ill wait some and see how it settles, and if it doesn't go down put some coil spacers in. The good news is I think I was lucky and don't have any driveline vibes, maybe some very minimal around 30 mph, but took it up to 80 with no issues. The vibes was why I was afraid of going too high.

Now its time for new tires. I was only planning on doing 30x9.5 but its so much higher than expected I'm thinking of doing 31x10.5s. I think I'll barely be able to squeeze them in, and if I have to add a little bumpstop/trim/spacers I can do that later. My current tires are 235/75r15 which should be 28.9" but when I measure them they are only like 27.5". I estimate I can go up 2" in diameter before I start to rub. So based on specs (28.9"+2") I should be able to go up to 31x10.5s (30.5" actual), but if I have some weird small 235/75r15 tires that may not be true.
9cdb82b493ddd11bc3e8728169245093.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for bumping but FYI, if anyone is interested I just got mine back from getting the OME lift. I had the 930X coils, but I don't remember what leafs.

It ended up giving me about +1.5" in the front and +3.75" in the rear. However I had the factory upcountry package (+1") and the rears were sagging so thats probably why I have so much difference in the rear and so little in the front. The guy I had do it forgot to put in the 10mm trim packers in front, but he didn't charge much so I'm not mad. I have about 2" of rake right now (measuring from the fenders), but it sounds like the leaves will settle some and when I load it up for trips it should go down so hopefully will level out some. I think Ill wait some and see how it settles, and if it doesn't go down put some coil spacers in. The good news is I think I was lucky and don't have any driveline vibes, maybe some very minimal around 30 mph, but took it up to 80 with no issues. The vibes was why I was afraid of going too high.

Now its time for new tires. I was only planning on doing 30x9.5 but its so much higher than expected I'm thinking of doing 31x10.5s. I think I'll barely be able to squeeze them in, and if I have to add a little bumpstop/trim/spacers I can do that later. My current tires are 235/75r15 which should be 28.9" but when I measure them they are only like 27.5". I estimate I can go up 2" in diameter before I start to rub. So based on specs (28.9"+2") I should be able to go up to 31x10.5s (30.5" actual), but if I have some weird small 235/75r15 tires that may not be true.
9cdb82b493ddd11bc3e8728169245093.jpg
That front bumper is pulling it down a bit too. Nothing a small spacer won't fix if desired.

31's will work for street driving, but if you want to disconnect the swaybar and hit the trails, 31's will knock the flares off.

Why not do some fender trimming and go with 32's? :D

That front bumper is pulling it down a bit too. Nothing a small spacer won't fix if desired.

31's will work for street driving, but if you want to disconnect the swaybar and hit the trails, 31's will knock the flares off.

Why not do some fender trimming and go with 32's? :D
That's not a bad idea, but I don't want to have to deal with regearing and I do a lot of freeway driving so would rather keep it 31 or lower. Maybe just get 31's and add a spacer and or trim if needed

I agree with Greenz. I did a 3 1/2" Metalcloak lift with OME leafs and shocks. 31x10.5x15. I thought I'd stay small. NOPE! Now I'm at 4 1/2" ,rocky road Control arm drop bracket, rear shackle relocation bracket, SYE, Adams driveshaft. Thinking of bumping it up to 5". I can still rub the 31's a little with 4 pucks in the front. I've got a line on some 33's and a D44 in the garage. It's getting out of control (Inchitis)

DJ,
How is the lift?
I am looking at ome springs....already have 3in lift, so am looking at swapping springs & need new shocks.
Anybody try rocky-road shocks with ome springs?
Looks like $811 for 4in kit.

My lift was awesome! Gave me the stance and extra clearance on approach, break over and departure I was looking for. Sadly... My Jeep was stolen a month later, used to rob a pawn shop and then rolled and end-over-end flipped at 60+mph. I got to take it offroad a total of one time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But it was awesome while I had it!

Back