• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator up grade- amps @ idle

Rainman

NAXJA Forum User
looking to upgrade the 90 amp alternator. it realy struggles with the AC and the taurus fan in summer, thats with out the headlights.

to 136 or 160. there is $100 dollar difference, no junk yard options here.
At idle, or even 1500 rpm how much more is the 160 going to produce over the 136? Cause my understanding was the rated amprages were at higher RPMs.

its 95 they have one in both amprages, same actual size that will fit with the 95 connector. No real junkyard options, been looking for about 4 years now for a 136, whicg were were supposed to get here........no luck so far, summer is comming.

What year is your XJ? The connector changed in 99 models. 98 and down can use the 136 amp from the ZJ and some Dodge/Ram, 99 and later can use the 160 amp from Dodge/Ram

You would benefit more from the larger case 160 AMP alternator if you could find one and get it to fit. They produce more voltage at low RPM which is what you really need. Some massaging of the brackets may be necessary.

Fitment is the problem. I bought a Ram alt when mine shit the bed at Hidden Falls. Case wouldn't fit between the rail and the frame rail.

I probably need motor mounts but also have a small tcase drop so not sure where that leaves me in terms of more or less space between my rig and others. Just know that a 160 wouldn't fit

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

thanks all. Its RHD the alternator is up high where the A/c usualy goes- no frame rails. the brackets will need to be massaged as both the 136 and the 160 are the same size, but bigger than the stock 90 unit.
smaller pully is worth looking like.

please update this thread with what pulley you decide to use and which alternator you with if you decide to stray from 90amp.

thanks!

I put a Durango 160A out of a late 1990s or early 2000s into my 1995 without much issue. I had to grind the block and timing cover to get it to fit, but its in there without any issues. I'm running the late style belt arrangement due to intake and PS pump swap. I used the old pulley off my old 90A alternator without any issues. The plug is different, but you just get the plug that goes with the OBDII alternators to put them in a OBDI HO engine.

Ran 2ga wires with Blue Sea high amp fuses on everything and Mil-Spec battery terminals. No issues with power or dimming lights any more. I've got three Spal 10" fans on a Flex-a-Lite PWM fan controller. Stock voltmeter still dips and does weird shit, but I've stopped paying it attention at this point.

So went with the 160. was plug and play for the 95 loom., came with a pully that was same as the stock one. Already had the wiring upgrade.
its much hapier makes target voltage with taurus fan and aux fan running at idle, Ac as well.

So went with the 160. was plug and play for the 95 loom., came with a pully that was same as the stock one. Already had the wiring upgrade.
its much hapier makes target voltage with taurus fan and aux fan running at idle, Ac as well.

Back