NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 5th, 2019, 18:42
NAXJA Forum User

Best air filter for a stock 1990 air box.

I have had some Fram airfilters collapse into the air box, their frame is not very rigid, and thus it can come out of the channel easy. Is there a filter with a more ridged frame, better fit?
What is a high quality filter to fit the stock 1990 air box?

Thanks!
Old November 5th, 2019, 20:21
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Best air filter for a stock 1990 air box.

As told before, that's a malfunction of some type, but anyway I use the Afe washable.
https://afepower.com/afe-power-31-10...y-s-air-filter
Old November 5th, 2019, 22:19
NAXJA Member

You can still get them from the dealer. Thats where i got my last one just cause i happened to be in there for another part. IIRC its stamped as a Mahle filter but id have to double check tomorrow.

Rockauto carries a wide selection of good name brands. Id be wary of using washable oiled filters.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old November 6th, 2019, 06:54
NAXJA Forum User

High quality paper is the way to go, and replace often if you're off road a lot as dust migrates through them eventually. Rockauto.com currently has non-labeled/packaged (think sales to Jiffy Lube type places) WIX filters for $2.54 each. Otherwise, Mopar or ACDelco seems fine.

I've used oil filters for desert buggy go-fast stuff. I've never had good luck with them and always had dust in the intake until I switched to Donaldson type paper filters.
Old November 6th, 2019, 08:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood View Post
High quality paper is the way to go, and replace often if you're off road a lot as dust migrates through them eventually. Rockauto.com currently has non-labeled/packaged (think sales to Jiffy Lube type places) WIX filters for $2.54 each. Otherwise, Mopar or ACDelco seems fine.

I've used oil filters for desert buggy go-fast stuff. I've never had good luck with them and always had dust in the intake until I switched to Donaldson type paper filters.

Is this the Donaldson filter you recommend?

link...

https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-...P534105/19636#
Old November 6th, 2019, 09:06
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog0 View Post
You can still get them from the dealer. Thats where i got my last one just cause i happened to be in there for another part. IIRC its stamped as a Mahle filter but id have to double check tomorrow.

Rockauto carries a wide selection of good name brands. Id be wary of using washable oiled filters.

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

From your link, AC Delco seems to be the best.

But my issues is the filter failing to stay seated in the air box channel. When I bought the jeep the K and N was fallen out of the channel, I replaced with fram paper filter and now twice upon inspection it has fallen out of the channel of the airbox. my air box is stock, and does not appear to have any warps or deformation in it or its top. It is nice and squared,no twist in the plastic.

I think if the wire mesh on the filter was stiffer, or the frame beefier that would solve it, The filter did not get wet either, the filter element seems undamaged each time, I think it is a poor design issue, it needs a more rigid frame, that is what I am looking for at this point, a filter that is more rigid.

anyone else have this problem?
Old November 6th, 2019, 09:55
NAXJA Member

Heres my filter. Oem MOPAR. One thing i noticed on the metal grille ontop is two raised rectangular sections. I assume these add somewhat to the strength to the mesh grille. And its not marked MAHLE its just got the Chrysler marks. Ive never noticed these raised sections on other brands of filter but ive never payed that close of attention to it either.

Ive never had what youre describing happen. It may be time to get a replacment airbox. Maybe yours is warped and misshappen and no longer able to hold the filter properly.

Old November 6th, 2019, 13:03
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1990jeep View Post
Is this the Donaldson filter you recommend?

link...

https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-...P534105/19636#
NICE! I didn't even know they made one, but makes sense. Yes, Donaldson is a good company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black1990jeep View Post
From your link, AC Delco seems to be the best.

But my issues is the filter failing to stay seated in the air box channel. When I bought the jeep the K and N was fallen out of the channel, I replaced with fram paper filter and now twice upon inspection it has fallen out of the channel of the airbox. my air box is stock, and does not appear to have any warps or deformation in it or its top. It is nice and squared,no twist in the plastic.

I think if the wire mesh on the filter was stiffer, or the frame beefier that would solve it, The filter did not get wet either, the filter element seems undamaged each time, I think it is a poor design issue, it needs a more rigid frame, that is what I am looking for at this point, a filter that is more rigid.

anyone else have this problem?
As far as I know, almost every filter I've put in the Jeep was pretty floppy. The mesh is to keep the paper from getting sucked into the engine, not to keep the filter rigid. I think you have a problem with your airbox.
Old November 6th, 2019, 19:29
NAXJA Member

https://teamcherokee.com/lower-air-c...kee-1991-2001/

Old November 6th, 2019, 23:29
Piece of Fish!

I have a case of motorcraft filters from when I worked at a Ford dealer, that will last me a while. Otherwise, I was using Napa and Carquest filters.
Will probably run Wix after.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.