• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with alarm system on 2001 XJ

Dannymmz

NAXJA Forum User
Need help with the alarm system on 01 XJ. I would like to install the dealer system ($160), it's plug and play. It's better than a self install system ($90~140)for which I would have to run new wires and rewire the door locks along with other things to make it work.
But first I would like to know how and what will set off the XJ alarm?
My old rodeo alarm would be trigger by several factors:
(1) Would set off if it is unlocked from the outside or inside.
(2) Would set off if a door or the hood is opened.
(3) Would beep & not set if you try to set the alarm with a door/hood
open.
(4) Would auto reset it's self if a door is not opened after unsetting / unlocking doors.
(5) Could also be set/unset & lock/unlock all doors using the key the driver's side door key hole.
(6) Would unset and unlock only the drivers door on the forst press of the keyless unlock botton.
How many of these preset factors are true with the 2001 XJ?
I know with my 01 XJ keyless entry that
(1) One press of the keyless and ALL the doors unlock.
(2) Doors will lock even if a door is open and will not beep about it.
(3) The driver's door key hole is not wired, so no controling the system by the door.
(4) It Will not reset itself.
If I find a 01 XJ at the junk yard do some of you know where the alarm control box is located?

An OEM alarm system is NOT better than a quality aftermarket system (nearly any alarm DEI manufactures).

If you are looking for a plug and play OEM system, i beleive the xj's only got a keyless entry system. The OEM alarm system was called the Sentry immobilzer which is a bit of a pain from what I hear. You have to get the cars actual PCM in addition to all the components in the alarm plus you have to switch your keys from the standard black keys to the tan keys and keyfobs which had the chips in them. Somebody else chime in if there was an actual OEM alarm in the 01's that wasn't the Sentry system. If you look at a basic aftermarket alarm from DEI you will be getting an alarm the ties into your doors and hatch so it will go off if they are opened, a shock sensor (usually a two stage), two keypad that will usually have longer range than the OEM alarm, and with most DEI's, a lifetime warranty on the device and if you have it installed at a facility like Best Buy, they will even uninstall the alarm when you sell the car so you can have it for the next one. Usually you can get an alarm with those features installed for 199 or under.

I called the deal and there is a true OEM alarm with a loud horn part are about $160. I do have the sentry immobilzer with the tan keys $100 each. I planing to start with the deals system ad wire-in to the door swith a shock sensor and glass sensor and a reasinater ( sound sensor ) installed by the key hole. to set off the alarm.
along wireing in a hood sensor to.

Thank you with your help,..

Last edited:
Back