• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark Plug Questions

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
Its time for an oil change in my 2001 XJ...I also would like to change the spark plugs. First off, where are they, and how do i get to them (pics if possible)...also what spark plugs should i use and do i need any special tools to get the spark plugs out!!!
:wave1:
Thanks
Brendan

My 2000 performs best with the plugs recommended by Jeep. The white tag on the firewall has the plug number. Don't waste any money on premium plugs or split fire type plugs.

The 2000 -01 have a distributor rail instead of a distributor and plug wires. Several bolts hold it to the top of the motor. Remove them and gently pull towards you. Move it out of the way to get to the plugs. Use a spark plug socket and a wobble extension. Realign it when you are done and push down gently. Make sure all the plugs engage a rubber plug boot.

Also before you remove any of the plugs it's a good idea to blow out the area with compressed air to remove any loose foreign material that may have collected in the plug area.

okay...great advice....i can grab a the spark plugs at any automotuve supply store like advanced auto...are there only six spark plugs???

yes you will need 6 plugs. also pick up a small packet of "Anti-seize" and another of "di-electric grease." i couldn't find the write up on the xj writeup with the distributorless rail ignition spark plug but here are two links to changing plugs on the same setup in a jeep Tj (98 and up wrangler). you will have to disreguard the intake setup as yours is different but the rail and plugs are the same. good luck
http://www.4x4xplor.com/sparkplug.html
http://jeephorizons.com/tech/spark.html

I would spend the extra $1 per plug to get them from the dealer, I bought 4 plugs from the dealer who was cleaned out then picked up the same model champion plug from an auto parts store. They were different plugs, the parts store ones had smaller electrodes and we almost a smaller plug. Sure suprised me, had to wait till the following week till the dealer got his next shipment, took the parts store plugs back, even showed the manager the difference.
I tend ot buy OEM dealer mainly because I KNOW it will fit..
When I did my rad hoses and heater hoses the same thing, the OEM one fit and were prebent so they, heater hoses, dropped into the same holders/clamps and the rad hoses came complete with the spring in the lower hose and the plastic wear guard..

Back