• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Blower Motor

bchulett

NAXJA Member #999
I searched and read most of the related threads.

I have a '91 with new AC components, compressor, condenser, etc -- it gets nice and cold. I started having an intermittent problem with the AC blower suddenly shutting off for a minute, and then starting up -- whether or not the switch is on high, med, or low. Sometimes it says off for 2 or 3 minutes and then comes back on.

I installed a new fan switch on the AC/Heat controller in the dash.... it didn't fix the problem.

I was going to replace the entire AC/Heat controller... but it's somewhat pricey...

I'd rather start with replacing the right part... any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Switching off for a couple/few minutes sounds like something heat induced. A poor contact someplace or something acting like a bi-metal (heat switch). Fuse or a connector possibly. Many small motors (and pumps) have a bi-metal fuse built into the motor (in the windings) A protection to keep them from cooking off if they jam. I'm not sure whether the XJ fan does or not. I've seen regular fuses crack and act just like a bi-metal. Iffy contact at a connector is always a possibility.

Thanks, should I just replace the motor first? Appears to be the easiest and least costly components... it does sound more like the fan since I can't hear the AC unit cycling on and off.

I'd take it to the dealer for the second time but since it's intermittent they'll just give it back to me.

edit: now that I think about it, you're probably right, it seems to do this mostly on very hot days. I don't drive it enough to check during other conditions.

Last edited:
Is the motor shutting off intermittently, or is the compressor clutch starting and stopping repeatedly? The latter is normal, and drives new owners bonkers as they try to fix out the "problem" that isn't there.

Bear in mind that the clutch will engage/disengage repeatedly if the coolant is low, too.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I believe it's the blower motor... I've owned my XJ since new. A few years ago I put a bunch of money into it, new compressor, etc. and shortly thereafter the blower motor started shutting off like its losing power. It also appears to randomly increase/decrease rpms slightly after being on for awhile.. then it just stops blowing... then starts again.

Maybe it's just a 17 year-old motor and when gets hot it wants to crap out.

I don't know, with all the electrical issues some are having I hope it's just the blower motor -- or maybe a thermal switch somewhere on the AC compressor.

bchulett said:
I searched and read most of the related threads.

I have a '91 with new AC components, compressor, condenser, etc -- it gets nice and cold. I started having an intermittent problem with the AC blower suddenly shutting off for a minute, and then starting up -- whether or not the switch is on high, med, or low. Sometimes it says off for 2 or 3 minutes and then comes back on.

I installed a new fan switch on the AC/Heat controller in the dash.... it didn't fix the problem.

I was going to replace the entire AC/Heat controller... but it's somewhat pricey...

I'd rather start with replacing the right part... any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Also check the fan resistor pack. Could be overheating and opening the circuit, then cools off and reconnects.

Back