• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liberty 231 t-case in '96 XJ. Wiring question

Randy Curran

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped in a 231 from a 2002 Liberty into my 1996 XJ. The only difference is the electrical connections aren't the same. The one that tells you you're in 4wd, I don't care about but the rear should I? The Liberty case has no provisions for any plug of any kind.

I wouldn't care but now the truck stalls occasionally when coming to a stop. I'm guessing this is the problem????

Help and thanks!

you need a VSS of some sort.

XJs normally use the t-case. if your liberty case doesn't accomodate, you'll need to figure something else out.

What about converting the Liberty case to run an SYE?

An SYE kit would get you a new shaft and a tailcone with provisions for a speedo output.

How about some pics of the Liberty 231, and especially of the output?

Have you checked the input gear for fit? Liberty's didn't use the AW4.

As you can see no hook up for the speed sensor.

i28
i28

Without having them side by side it is hard to guesstimate the likelihood this would work, but what about asking around for an output housing from a late model? IOW, find someone who has done an SYE conversion and still has the original parts laying around, waiting for that day when they finally decide to toss them in the scrap pile/trash.

Of course, this would require that the output shaft also has the provision for a speedometer drive.

It would be safest to get both the output housing and the output shaft. You might need to replace both. Parts should be cheap. Just need to put in the labor.

you might want to call Advanced Adapters and or Novak.

they generally have these parts lying around and may be able to help you.

Back