• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Engine Grounding Strip 2000 XJ

bucklahoo

NAXJA Forum User
Firewall to engine grounding strip detached and corroded.
Would like to replace it.
Would a cable like this be a good idea?
Not sure of the bolt/stud sizes.
DSC_0555.webp

DSC_0560.webp

That would work, but something that a lot of people don't realize is that the factory used a braided strap instead of a fat round cable because a braided strap is flat and thin and thus has lower inductance than a fat round cable of equivalent cross section. That strap is only there to shunt RF interference to the chassis so that ignition noise from the right side of the motor doesn't get into all the sensitive EFI sensor signals on the left side of the motor, it doesn't handle cranking current. The heavy wire from the battery negative to the block or ignition coil mounting stud (depending on year) is the one that handles the heavy current loads from the starter motor and alternator.

That cable will probably work fine since it's much larger gauge than the strap, but a cheap braided grounding strap of the same size (or ideally the same thickness but wider than factory) will do fine too if you want to save a couple bucks.

ok great. i'll just replace with a strap and clean up and examine my other grounds.

unfortunately got back into town yesterday and the XJ wont start. cranks fine but not firing up so i have to deal with that now.

Back