• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AXLE FAILURE VS U-JOINT FAILURE (PICS)

curbdog17

NAXJA Forum User
DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE AXLE SHAFTS FAILED AND DESTROYED THE U-JOINT OR THE U-JOINT FAILED AND DESTROYED THE AXLE SHAFTS?
100_1989.jpg

100_1990.jpg

100_1991.jpg

100_1992.jpg

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR THOUGHTS.

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE AXLE SHAFTS FAILED AND DESTROYED THE U-JOINT OR THE U-JOINT FAILED AND DESTROYED THE AXLE SHAFTS?
100_1989.jpg

100_1990.jpg

100_1991.jpg

100_1992.jpg

PLEASE LEAVE YOUR THOUGHTS.
U joint failure and someone just kept driving?

First thought please turn off the caps lock.................
as for the axle shaft. it looks like it has been that way for awhile. This is one of those questions that everyone will have a different answer to. Bottom line is you need a new axle shaft and if you get it from the junk yard replace the u-joint regardless if it looks/feels good or not. Just my experience on j/y axle shafts. And inspect it very thoroughly.

Actually, it looks like rust ate your parts.

I did this last fall and its been cold here in michigan so she sat for a few months i just pulled the axle yesterday and found the housing is bent too.
I drove it home after this happened. about 20 miles.
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK!

I did this last fall and its been cold here in michigan so she sat for a few months i just pulled the axle yesterday and found the housing is bent too.
I drove it home after this happened. about 20 miles.
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS LOCK!
You are lucky! Every time I have broken a joint (pre-alloyusa era) , I have not been able to drive it.

Looks to me like the U-joints failed, then got sand in them and the sand wore everything else down to were it broke.
(but i dont know that much about u-joints, just what sand does to metal)

Back