• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nother techie QQ

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
I should know this, but don't.

Need to make hard-copies... LOTS (roughly 700 gigs worth) for back up purposes and to free up some space.

So, with that in mind, can I buy 1-2 more DVD burners and be able to run each one simultaneously? That way I can burn 21 gigs at a time instead of just 7. I have enough room for 2 more 5 inch bay devices and room for my (soon) raid.
I "think" it would be possible, just install burning software on 3 separate drives?
Would my lack of ram be a problem for Cache/buffer (only 1G of old school DDR).

I think the lack of ram would be a problem, because it wouldn't be able to process it all at the same time and make it really slow/ not capable of doing it.

It *might* work but I would slow them down to minimum speed if you are using nero. Personally I would go out and buy a couple of 500gig hard drives and use them. I burn with two DVD's on my Athalon FX but it's also got 8gig of memory and I still get a coaster every once in a while when I forget to slow them down, it's the caching that kills it. Thats all sata drives including the burners. Now you have me curious, I think I'll move one the burners over to the AMD quad processor machine running vista ultimate and see how that runs.

I never burn at max speed (on DVD's) because of the possibility of an over burn.

I may just grab some new drives for a temp fix

Rich, please let me know about that quad FX? your running. I have been thinking about building a system using that base. Only manufacture I can find is TYAN.
Another option I might do is to run my drives on network storage and build a couple low end AMD boxes (simple board, 1-2G ram, simple 70ish G SATA, burner) Use my Kvm to piggy back off my monitors to hotswap. What you think?
oh yeah, mind giving me some spec tech on your personal set ups?

imma honky said:
I never burn at max speed (on DVD's) because of the possibility of an over burn.

I may just grab some new drives for a temp fix

Rich, please let me know about that quad FX? your running. I have been thinking about building a system using that base. Only manufacture I can find is TYAN.
Another option I might do is to run my drives on network storage and build a couple low end AMD boxes (simple board, 1-2G ram, simple 70ish G SATA, burner) Use my Kvm to piggy back off my monitors to hotswap. What you think?
oh yeah, mind giving me some spec tech on your personal set ups?

I'm using an Asus MB M3A, antec case, 4 250gb hatachi sata HD's and now 2 sata DVD drives.
Oh and 8gig of ram, geil ddr2 8500. It's mostly the wifes machine now. I'm looking at building a dual quad box.

RichP said:
I'm using an Asus MB M3A, antec case, 4 250gb hatachi sata HD's and now 2 sata DVD drives.
Oh and 8gig of ram, geil ddr2 8500. It's mostly the wifes machine now. I'm looking at building a dual quad box.

What are your thoughts on seagate's SATA's?
A dual quad box?! Cha-ching

The dvd route isn't going to work. Just get a 500 Gig removable hd. The data will be safer than if it were on a DVD or a regular hd

imma honky said:
What are your thoughts on seagate's SATA's?
A dual quad box?! Cha-ching

I've had mixed results on seagates, but then I use the OEM ones that I get by the case. I'm used to seeing ONE bad one out of the box of 24, 3 bad ones within 3-6 months and 1-2 more the first year. While they have a 5 year warranty it's still a PIA to have to get a customer back where they were. I image every series of machines I build especially if it was an involved one with some exotic hardware. I actually look forward to either bluray or HDdvd coming mainline and the prices getting reasonable just for initial imaging so I can supply a complete initial image to the customer.
I have had decent results with retail versions of the same drives so my first impression is the qc is better on retail product lines, for the most part my customers understand this when I use only retail components in their systems, then you get the ones that their eyes bulge out when they see the price of a high end powersupply vs $70 Antec but none of them bat an eye when I won't sell a system without a 900va UPS. It's all fun stuff to me.

Back