• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd not working...

chrisxj

NAXJA Forum User
My 4wd will ont engage. Whenever I pull up on the lever the light will not come on. I tested it last night and had definate rear wheel spin, and no front wheel traction. I is extremely difficult to shift to N or 4LO. Does this sound like a loose linkage or something worse???

Thanks

Chris

More info on the year, model, etc....

Sorry, I didn't realize that my sig did not show up...
1996 XJ
5 speed
4.0 Liter.
Sport model - shift on the fly, Part-time ( I think thats selec-trac, 231).
123250 miles

Thanks!

For 96, which has no pesky axle disconnect, I'd start with the linkage, especially if it's also stiff.

First, of course, you need to get underneath and confirm that the linkage is all there, not bent or broken. The basic drill for adjusting a 231 linkage is pretty simple. You'll see that a part of the linkage is a round rod that goes through a trunnion with a bolt in it. You loosen that bolt (doing whatever you need in the way of lubing and derusting to get the rod to slide freely in the trunnion), then use the lever on the TC itself to shift it all the way into 4 low. Then go up and shift the lever into 4 low. Then go back down and tighten the bolt. When you're done, the handle should be more or less parallel to the floor when it's in 2 hi.

If you don't exercise it frequently, the lever will tend to get stiff, especially where the shaft passes through the floor. It's a good idea, every once in a while, just to sit there and shift back and forth with the engine off. Do it about 40 times in a row, and it will usually free up.

Thats a good starting point. I put some oil in a spray bottle and shoot it up there every once in a while to keep it lubed but then I also use it alot so it's generally not an issue. When we got my sons TJ it needed some coaxing the first few times but then was OK once it got the lube treatment. I generally shoot it with mobil-1 ATF, it's thin enough to shoot thru a spray bottle.

chrisxj said:
Sorry, I didn't realize that my sig did not show up...
1996 XJ
5 speed
4.0 Liter.
Sport model - shift on the fly, Part-time ( I think thats selec-trac, 231).
123250 miles

Thanks!

Part time is command-trac; you got the number right.

Back