• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting a fire extinguisher

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
ok i was thinking about putting a fire extinguisher in my jeep. i was wondering what kind you got and where you mounted it. do i have to get a special one for cars?

Thanks!

i already know ALL about the different classes of fires. i had to take training for the college i went to. i was thinking about getting a CO2 for up front and an ABC for the back. but i was wondering if i had to get a special one for the heats that a car gets inside in the sun. i have seen a fire extinguisher blow up and it is not preaty ( especaly when it was inside a community television station).

i just want to make sure that there arn't some special one's out there before i rush out to Target.

Thanks for the link though!

I have a little BC extinguisher sold as an 'in-car' unit. It's mounted to the rear seat crossmember, passenger side (I have no rear seat). Wherever you choose to mount it, make sure you can reach it from the driver's seat.

On one Jeep I have the extinguisher mounted inside the little recess in the rear cargo area. It fits in at an angle. On the other, I put the first aid kit in that recess and the extinguisher is mounted on the sill above it. Of course you have to be able to open the hatch to get at it, but it's easy to see and it's never buried. I've used more extinguishers on other people's vehicles than my own, including a school bus once. The extinguishers themselves are the ordinary dry chemical sort. I prefer CO2, but they're pretty bulky and expensive to refill.

how much should i expect to shell out on one of these in-car models? where in the front should i put it? i was thinking about puttiong it under the drivers seat. or on the pass. side of the center console. what do you think?

Do not buy a powder fire extinguisher. Not only will it ruin the finish on what ever you spray it on but half the time the powder sets up and cakes and will not come out unless properley maintaned. I personally would buy a halon extinguisher off of ebay designed for aircraft carriers. You can get a 2.5 to 5lbs model for $30-$50 if you look around.

In my old '96 I had it mounted on the floor just left of the driver's seat. It was handy there, even though I never needed it.

I just mounted up 2 of them in mine tonight. I put a fairly large one made specifically far cars on the drivers "C" pillar. Since I can't really get to that easy....I put a smaller one on the passenger side of the center console. I can get pics tomorrow.

Get an ABC or two (you shouldn't need a Class D) and mount them somewhere out of direct sunlight.

I find that putting a smallish (2.5 - 5#) unit in a clamp on the floorboard between the driver's seat is usually both convenient (you can grab it in a hurry) and out of directl lighting (so it's not hot when you grab it.)

You can put a 5-10# unit somewhere in the back in a corner, and put a towl or a light cloth over it (like a section of bedsheet) to keep direct sunlight off of it. Granted, they're overbuilt for a reason (you'd be surprised what those cannisters can take!) but why buy trouble when you get so much for free?

You can put it in the sunlight for a while without trouble, but there's no reason to not give it a little help. Make the towel, sheet, or whatever have a light colour - to better help reflect infrared (white is best, greys and earthtones work well - AVOID RED, PURPLE, BROWN, and BLUE! All are made with red dyes, and they'll actually absorb infrared, rather than help to reflect it...)

5-90

Back