• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what tranny is supposed to be in my 86 wagoneer

It depends what engine you have. If you have a 2.8 or a 2.5 you should have a Torque flite. I forget the exact model though (I think 704). If its a 4.0, its actually an 87 and it has an AW4 4 speed. The 87s were out midway through 86.

the_bandit87 said:
It depends what engine you have. If you have a 2.8 or a 2.5 you should have a Torque flite. I forget the exact model though (I think 704). If its a 4.0, its actually an 87 and it has an AW4 4 speed. The 87s were out midway through 86.
Well since it's an 86, it won't have the 4.0L and AW-4.

It should be a Torqueflite 904, and I believe it was used with both the 2.8L and 2.5L in the 84-86 XJs.

I looked it up and you're right it should be a tourque flight, but it said that the tourque flight is a 3 speed, mine has 3 plus OD. I did'nt know if they consider that to be a 3 speed? I always thought that was a 4 speed OD?? Yes it has a 2.8, but I only paid 250.00 for it, w/o any problems

How do you know it has overdrive? Are you sure it doesn't just have a locking torque converter?

when I'm driving it will shift 1-2-3-then around 40mph it drops into what feels like overdrive. I don't know, I've had mustangs before w/AOD and it shifts the same as one of those. I'm just wondering what the tranny is and tranfer case is b/c I'm going to lift it from 3in to 4.5in and need to know what SYE to get for it.The factory specs say it's a tourque flight 904, with a np228 or a np229 t-case.

Its probably a torqueflite of the 90X series, those are the tc lockup torqueflites. The torque converter locks sometime after the change into 3rd. Not technically an overdrive gear though. The t-case should have a round metal ID tag on the back and that will say what NP series it is.

if that's the case, why does it act like it does, this is my first jeep and I don't know alot about them yet, if this was a 5.0 I would'nt have any ??? It's just kind of wierd. If it helps I looked at the tag on the t-case and it's a np228. Do you know if the tranny & t-case are worth a crap or what?

Back