• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are the reverse lights supposed to come on with the motor shut off?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I just took off my driver side tail light to do some water proofing. While it was out, I changed all the bulbs.

I was checking them to make sure everything works, and I noticed my reverse lights aren't coming on. This was with the ignition on, and trans in reverse (duh).

Does the engine have to be running for the lights to come on, or did it mess something up? My engine is cold and I don't want to start it for something as simple as this.

I just cleaned my NSS the other week. No starting problems since.

Thanks

I looked at my 88 XJ electrical troubleshooting manual, the NSS controls if the back up lights come on. You have to have the ignition to RUN and gear shifter in R to have them come on.

Under troubleshooting they have you first check the Transmission control unit (TCU) fuse to see if it is blow, change it if it is bad, you may want to do an OHM check to make sure it is good even though it looks good. I have had some good looking fuses test bad.

Then they have you verify battery voltage to the NSS, cont check across the NSS adn verify the wires from the NSS to the bulb are good.

Hope that helps.

OK so I fired her up this morning and the lights still aren't coming on.

Is there a fuse that controls just the reverse lights? Where is the trans fuse located?

90Pioneer said:
OK so I fired her up this morning and the lights still aren't coming on.

Is there a fuse that controls just the reverse lights? Where is the trans fuse located?
On my 87 it was lower left in the fuse block, marked TRAN

Have your reverse lights worked since you cleaned the NSS? Sometimes, its necessary to "adjust" it as I had to with mine. Unbolt it and try turning it a few degrees. Then attempt to light up the reverse lights. If that works, tighten the bolt and wash up.

Sorry this is on my 1996 XJ. When I put the NSS back together, and reinstalled, it appeared that there was only one way it would go back together?

My reverse lights have worked since, but I believe they have been intermittent.

If the fuse is good, should I just pucker up and by a new NSS?

90Pioneer said:
Sorry this is on my 1996 XJ. When I put the NSS back together, and reinstalled, it appeared that there was only one way it would go back together?

My reverse lights have worked since, but I believe they have been intermittent.

If the fuse is good, should I just pucker up and by a new NSS?
Wait till we can look 97 will be different.
A new NSS is $180.00 thats not something I would replace because I think it could be bad.

Back