• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MOAB newbie

Everyone should bring beer and lots of it, even if you don't drink!
But you'll make friends with it. Unless you enjoy our local beer flavored water. (the 3.2 swill)

Actually, the Moab Brewery has several high-test beers including a Belgian White at 8.1% alcohol. Or, are you just trying to scare everyone away so that you can keep Moab for yourself? Just pulling your chain or course.

What kind of things are out there to do with the family besides wheeling and hiking? The old lady doesn't want to wrap the whole vacation around wheeling.

If there's any water left in the Colorado river you can go on a rafting trip.
But the water level is extremely low, so not much whitewater.
There is always sightseeing, a zip line, helicopter tours, old indian ruins, and petrogylphs, I do recommend going to the national parks, Arches and Canyonlands.
Even if you don't care to hike, you should take the Fiery Furnace tour in Arches, but make sure to sign up for it in advance.

Actually, the Moab Brewery has several high-test beers including a Belgian White at 8.1% alcohol. Or, are you just trying to scare everyone away so that you can keep Moab for yourself? Just pulling your chain or course.

From what I understand you can get the stronger beers only in cans or bottles, the beers on tap are lower alcohol. But I'm going there today to buy some, so I'll ask.
And they now make vodka and gin.
But you're right, I want Moab all to myself, we've lived here almost 30 years, and I can't believe how many more visitors there are now, so yeah I miss the old days.

I called about rafting and a local rafting company in moab said it's not the best time of the year.

But they said that they will shuttle you an hour north and the Rapids are still pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

From what I understand you can get the stronger beers only in cans or bottles, the beers on tap are lower alcohol. But I'm going there today to buy some, so I'll ask.
And they now make vodka and gin.
But you're right, I want Moab all to myself, we've lived here almost 30 years, and I can't believe how many more visitors there are now, so yeah I miss the old days.

It’s been 10 years but I remember the high test stuff being on draft. Was very happy I walked

So, heres my situation.. Im looking at attending this event and time is really ticking by fast and my jeeps still sitting on jackstands.. It just might not be ready so i might just throw my other xj on the trailer and running it.. pretty stock, has a 3 inch budget lift with 31s. Oh, did i mention ive never been rock crawling? Yep, im that guy whos ready to jump head first into a rock or 2.. Being from Iowa, Ive been in my fair share of mud holes tho.. I figure being a rookie, it would be a good time to start out with all the fellow xjers out there.. Regardless of which ever jeep i bring, ill mostly be out to learn and tip toe around..

Is there a list somewhere that tells me what is required to run out there? Again, this is a new adventure so any tips on what to bring is welcome.. thanks..

So, heres my situation.. Im looking at attending this event and time is really ticking by fast and my jeeps still sitting on jackstands.. It just might not be ready so i might just throw my other xj on the trailer and running it.. pretty stock, has a 3 inch budget lift with 31s. Oh, did i mention ive never been rock crawling? Yep, im that guy whos ready to jump head first into a rock or 2.. Being from Iowa, Ive been in my fair share of mud holes tho.. I figure being a rookie, it would be a good time to start out with all the fellow xjers out there.. Regardless of which ever jeep i bring, ill mostly be out to learn and tip toe around..

Is there a list somewhere that tells me what is required to run out there? Again, this is a new adventure so any tips on what to bring is welcome.. thanks..

Thank you for coming to the celebration. I'm sure you will find folks to wheel with, regardless of the build of the rig, nor the skill of the driver. If you can't find someone, look me up. We can go to some easy, scenic stuff.

For general info on required equipment, I've attached the section of the NAXJA bylaws that define minimum equipment. There may be additional equipment based on a particular run, or current communication methods.

Section 3: Required Equipment for Event Participation
  1. NAXJA VERY HIGHLY recommends that all event participants have a CB Radio.
  2. NAXJA requires all listed items to be present, and available for use, for a vehicle to be permitted to participate in a event. Participants are expected to stow equipment and all other items within their vehicle in a safe manner, conscious of the effects of OHV use and possible shifting of items.
  3. NAXJA Safety Inspectors will use this list for safety inspections prior to any event. The Safety Inspector has final say in approval or rejection of any vehicle for event participation and may at anytime defer to a second event or club officer for additional ruling.
  4. NAXJA expects each event participant to carry insurance and registration sufficient to meet the legal requirements of their vehicle state of residence and for the roads and trails traveled for the event. NAXJA is not responsible for assuring an entrant's vehicle is legal for the roads and trails traveled in the event.
Equipment List
  1. Visibly charged fire extinguisher (BC or ABC)
  2. First aid kit
  3. Adequate spare tire, jack and lug wrench
  4. Safety belts for driver and any current passenger
  5. Adequate attachment points in the front and rear of the vehicle:
    1. Acceptable forms of attachment points: (All Items must be mounted in a manner to provide adequate strength and integrity)
    2. Tow hooks of OEM or greater integrity
    3. D-Rings
    4. Shackle/Clevis
  6. 20ft 10,000lb snatch strap without any metal hooks
  7. Secured battery (no bungee cords)

David Bricker / SYR

31s and a 3 inch lift will do many of the trails in Moab. I wouldn't worry about that.

Like David said, there will be plenty of people to hit a trail with including the planned event runs.

I haven't brought it up yet, but I'm going to encourage everyone to have an FRS radio for use on the trails. They are cheap and convenient.

mac 'gonna be a good time' gyvr

31s and a 3 inch lift will do many of the trails in Moab. I wouldn't worry about that.

Like David said, there will be plenty of people to hit a trail with including the planned event runs.

I haven't brought it up yet, but I'm going to encourage everyone to have an FRS radio for use on the trails. They are cheap and convenient.

mac 'gonna be a good time' gyvr

Agreed. I was on 31’s and 3.5” in 08, with a front locker, and ran strike ravine no problem.

For the newbies, if you haven’t seen it, there’s a Kia commercial running right now where they run Hells Revenge in a Kia SUV. Only mods are all terrains, skid plates and sway bars disconnected. Don’t be afraid of Moab in a stock or mild XJ.

Right on.. i was wondering how my stockish rig would do out there.. im gonna try my best to get my other xj ready but its gonna be a task.. axles are out getting regeared and suspension mounts welded on, need to finish swapping the transmission and t case and a whole slew of other small things..

Does anyone bring dogs with them? I will have my dog with us when we come.. we will be staying in town in a hotel but idk if they would like me leaving him at the hotel all day while we are out on the runs so he just might ride along.. again, i wont be doing any wild runs or anything crazy but i wouldnt want anything to happen to him..

Thanks for the info and im gonna start gathering some recovery gear and figuring out whats gonna go down but none the less, ill be there with an xj in some form.. lol

Right on.. i was wondering how my stockish rig would do out there.. im gonna try my best to get my other xj ready but its gonna be a task.. axles are out getting regeared and suspension mounts welded on, need to finish swapping the transmission and t case and a whole slew of other small things..

Does anyone bring dogs with them? I will have my dog with us when we come.. we will be staying in town in a hotel but idk if they would like me leaving him at the hotel all day while we are out on the runs so he just might ride along.. again, i wont be doing any wild runs or anything crazy but i wouldnt want anything to happen to him..

Thanks for the info and im gonna start gathering some recovery gear and figuring out whats gonna go down but none the less, ill be there with an xj in some form.. lol

I have been searching the trails in Nimrods that I'm interested in andwatching them on youtube. It looks like Tuesday I'm going to do chicken corners, Wednesday I'm going flip a coin between Dome Plateau and seven mile rim. Hopefully meet up with Dr. Moab thursday and friday for hells revenge and PSM. It all looks lkke pretty scenic stuff.

I have been searching the trails in Nimrods that I'm interested in andwatching them on youtube. It looks like Tuesday I'm going to do chicken corners, Wednesday I'm going flip a coin between Dome Plateau and seven mile rim. Hopefully meet up with Dr. Moab thursday and friday for hells revenge and PSM. It all looks lkke pretty scenic stuff.

I would pick Seven Mile Rim over Dome, but either way it is a good time.

Wednesday I'm going flip a coin between Dome Plateau and seven mile rim.

If you do Dome Plateau, you're going to be stuck with me for trail leader. With my skills, we should be back to camp by Saturday.

David Bricker / SYR

If you bring dogs, don't do like some people and let them run loose on the cryptobiotic soil.
There is a dog park in town, that you can let them run around in, it is fenced off, but you can't just leave them there alone though.

I will not let my dog run free.. He will always be leashed and watched closely.. If we come to a rough portion of a trail, is it ok for my lady and dog to get out for the section and back in after its cleared? That is pretty much what im curious about.. Thanks!

I will not let my dog run free.. He will always be leashed and watched closely.. If we come to a rough portion of a trail, is it ok for my lady and dog to get out for the section and back in after its cleared? That is pretty much what im curious about.. Thanks!

Yes, in most places on the trail there is a place to get out and watch if it's gonna be technical or rough.

mac 'at least on the trails that I have run' gyvr

Back