NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > South East Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

South East Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2019, 15:49
Three-De Off-Road

Re: Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Hey Mark! Welcome back, bud!

Gassaway TN, huh. I thought you were making that up until I Google-Mapped it. You aren't close to anything!

Nice job on finding the MJ.
Dirk DeYoung--Member #176
You'll never leave Harlan alive.
1996 ZJ (200GRND)...2001 XJ (TRALRIG)...2006 XK (TOW RIG)
Old December 3rd, 2019, 08:45
NAXJA Forum User

Hey! I almost bought a house in Gassaway myself! Pretty area, for sure!

Over the weekend, I made some more progress on my 2 door.
I replaced the track bar and the bad wheel bearing, which may or may not be relevant for long with the impending axle swap, but at least I'm not worried about driving the jeep until that happens. I also did the trick to lock in the CAD for now, so my 4wd will work reliably until the new axle goes in, and scored some more parts from a donor 2 door that a friend has.
Last night I removed the thermostat and housing, to replace it with the newer style that has the fan switch in it, but got interrupted before finishing the swap.
I also ordered all the fuse box terminals to repair all my electrical woes, so every few days the xj comes closer to being a pretty good rig.
I really need to figure out an extremely cheap way to insure it, as a vehicle that needs to be road-legal, but will only be driven one weekend a month or so for wheeling/camping trips. Right now, I still haven't even registered it, because it is only getting driven around my property and surrounding back roads to test new parts.
I might have to sell my daily driver Jetta so I can justify getting insurance for the jeep, lol....
Old December 4th, 2019, 13:17
Jack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
Hey Mark! Welcome back, bud!

Gassaway TN, huh. I thought you were making that up until I Google-Mapped it. You aren't close to anything!

Nice job on finding the MJ.
Hey, I'm only 6 miles away from a Dollar General, I mean come on, what more do you need?

I ordered a set of 1/4" wheel spacers and I'm hoping that will solve the issue of the front Ravine's not fitting. I also stopped and got a couple bulbs for the front marker lights and I need to pick up a new flasher. The blinkers work but they are soooooo slow. I'm hoping the flasher is the problem.
-your engine timing will be off because of the shorter daylight hours.
-Your AC will work fine with summer oil but your heater/defrost requires winter oil.
Old December 4th, 2019, 15:47
NAXJA Member

So... I sold my XJ over the weekend.

Not to be too alarmed... I'm looking at getting another rig with what I got from the sale. Instead of buying one super cheap and building myself, I'm looking at buying an already built rig.

Surprisingly enough, there are some decent rigs for around what I sold my XJ for.

I'm looking for either a YJ or a Bronco. I found a built 88 Bronco, solid axles, in Sparta for $3100. I may pull the trigger on that.

Oh, and welcome back Mark!
2001 Black XJ (Annie) - RIP, 2001 Grey XJ 2WD (Sold)
Old December 4th, 2019, 18:53
NAXJA Forum User

Dang... and I just got back into jeeps...
Old December 4th, 2019, 21:40
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechief86 View Post
Dang... and I just got back into jeeps...
No worries because I am definitely getting another rig. Id like to have one before New year's but we will see.
2001 Black XJ (Annie) - RIP, 2001 Grey XJ 2WD (Sold)
Old December 6th, 2019, 04:27
NAXJA Forum User

I put a trailer hitch on my 2 door last night, and received the envelope with my fuse box bits. I may try to start tackling electrical gremlins this weekend.
Old December 6th, 2019, 06:50
Jack of all trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco01xj View Post
So... I sold my XJ over the weekend.

Not to be too alarmed... I'm looking at getting another rig with what I got from the sale. Instead of buying one super cheap and building myself, I'm looking at buying an already built rig.

Surprisingly enough, there are some decent rigs for around what I sold my XJ for.

I'm looking for either a YJ or a Bronco. I found a built 88 Bronco, solid axles, in Sparta for $3100. I may pull the trigger on that.

Oh, and welcome back Mark!

I like the broncos, those are tough! Thanks Brian!

I need a headlight harness for an 89. Does anyone know if there is still one made for them?
-Your AC will work fine with summer oil but your heater/defrost requires winter oil.
Old December 6th, 2019, 12:24
Jack of all trades

I found a light harness and got one ordered. I'm hoping that this will eliminate the "dim" headlights when I hit the brake pedal.
Old December 6th, 2019, 12:59
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by High2by View Post
I found a light harness and got one ordered. I'm hoping that this will eliminate the "dim" headlights when I hit the brake pedal.
I'd also use a multimeter to check voltage drop at the battery and alternator voltage regulator. It may have a somewhat weak charging system that has trouble keeping up with the load, a loose connection, or bad ground somewhere.
Old December 7th, 2019, 09:14
NAXJA Forum User

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Yesterday at windrock was a success. The 8.8 lsd did wonders with the extra clutch pack. Complimented the lunchbox front nicely. My bastard pack rear needs major help from relocation brackets for sure though. The drw 1 ton has more articulation in the rear...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old December 8th, 2019, 12:48
Three-De Off-Road

I decided that I'll never get the window frame straight enough to take a windshield, so I decided to proceed with plans to make it a window-less trail rig. First step is to get rid of all the carpet.

I pulled the interior and got rid of the carpet. Lots of surface rust, but nothing that is rotting through. I'll do as much rust mitigation as I can and then Herculiner the floor and call it good.
Old December 8th, 2019, 15:54
NAXJA Forum User

Dirk, if I were you, I'd look into a Lexan windshield for the xj, and trim it to fit your "custom" windshield frame, so you can keep the thing at least *mostly streetable.
I bet someone males a Lexan option to accommodate the JeepSpeed guys.

On my 2 door, today I either got a lot closer to fixing my electrical issues, or a whole lot closer to scrapping the damn thing.
I got the bulkhead connector apart, and got the corroded fuse box terminals replaced, but found some super nasty black goo in the bulkhead connector, as well as a buttload of ridiculous crap wiring surrounding an aftermarket cruise control setup that looked like it was installed by rabid crackheads.
All the cruise control junk has been removed now, and I'll spend some time this week trying to clean out that bulkhead connector. Hopefully I haven't completely screwed this thing up worse than it was, but before, literally all I had was start, run, and headlights.
Reassembly and testing will determine where I'm at with it. Sure hope it's actually better.
Old December 9th, 2019, 11:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottontail View Post
I decided that I'll never get the window frame straight enough to take a windshield, so I decided to proceed with plans to make it a window-less trail rig. First step is to get rid of all the carpet.

I pulled the interior and got rid of the carpet. Lots of surface rust, but nothing that is rotting through. I'll do as much rust mitigation as I can and then Herculiner the floor and call it good.
Just a quick Google pulled up several Lexan windshield options that could be trimmed to fit, for around $180 or so.... Might save you from never being able to drive it on the road.
Old December 9th, 2019, 14:03
Three-De Off-Road

My concern with going with Lexan or similar would be getting it so scratched up that I can't see out of it. It's a though, of course, and one I planned to pursue.

In the meantime, if anyone needs a BRAND NEW windshield for a 97-01 XJ, hit me up. I have one in my garage - and by garage, I mean the back of the ZJ parked in my driveway.