• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Biggest tire size without a lift...

30in. I run 9.5 width
minimal rubbing
What year I think newer models rub a little more

Harlee&Tahoe said:
30in. I run 9.5 width
minimal rubbing
What year I think newer models rub a little more

1996 Sport...

When does the rubbing happen? Tight turns? When off road?

Maybe I should look into a lift. I don't intend to do any serious wheelin right now, but I do get off road on a regular basis, but the trails are pretty well maintained.

This is the first SUV I've had, all the tires for my cars have been 225 - 255 width...when it comes to inches, I'm a bit behind. If I wanted to put 30x9.5s on, what wheel size are those? I have the factory 15" with 225x75x15 tires right now.

30x9.5x15 on stock rims on my DD '96 for the last couple years. A lot of times if you go with a wider wheel or with a wheel with a different offset(backspacing) it won't stuff and you end up having to lift it or cut it. My springs are sagging and the 30s still rarely rub and its sees a lot of washed out roads, firebreaks and unmaintaned "roads". You might rub on the LCAs at full steering lock, but its no big deal.

30 is the height 9.50 is the width of the tire. They fit fine on stock rims, stock backspacing.
They will rub on the LCA when at full turn and probably hit the rear wheel well when at full spring compression.
I put a washer behind the turn stops in the front and only had occasional scuffing in the back, before I lifted a couple of inches.
235 75 15's rub a little on the LCA, but I've rarely managed to rub them in the rear.
225 70 16's work well on the XJ, handle well on the road, no rubbing issues I've ever noticed.

I would suggest doing the ACOS in front. It will level out yor stance and allow up to 31" tire with very little rubbing and only at full turn or high articulation. That is what I did on my 98 untill I saved money to do the full lift.

What's LCA?

I've been doing some reading and it sounds like there is a lot more involved with a truck/suv with changing to bigger tires and changing wheels.

With the BMWs, it was basically maintain the same diameter and just add more rim and less rubber.

The off road conditions would likely not be worse than old logging trails that have decent wash outs from heavy rain. No big rocks and anything worse than some decent ruts in the trail. I'm sure the stock setup would be sufficient, but I'd like to have something with better grip and a "meatier" look if that makes sense.

LCA=lower control arms( the bottom links of the four link suspension that the XJs have). Alot of people will tell you that you need to lift it and such but I suggest running 235-75s or 30x9.5s on stock rims and getting used to the XJ. It will suprise you what it is capable of in stock form. Then down the road you can decide if you want to lift it, etc. With a 235 or 30 you won't need to regear and it won't kill you on gas mileage.

Search or check out the stickys on the Picture Showcase and you can see what it wil look like with different tire sizes and set ups.

I ran 31's at stock height for 3 months. My Jeep isn't a daily, and I needed tires, but didn't have lift cash yet. It rubbed alot, but it was driveable. I took it on a few camping trips that way.

xjhiker said:
LCA=lower control arms( the bottom links of the four link suspension that the XJs have). Alot of people will tell you that you need to lift it and such but I suggest running 235-75s or 30x9.5s on stock rims and getting used to the XJ. It will suprise you what it is capable of in stock form. Then down the road you can decide if you want to lift it, etc. With a 235 or 30 you won't need to regear and it won't kill you on gas mileage.
At this point, I wasn't planning on a lift. I think the XJ will be plenty capable for what my needs are right now. If I want to get more serious with the off roading, I'll go from there.

dano.75 said:
I would suggest doing the ACOS in front. It will level out yor stance and allow up to 31" tire with very little rubbing and only at full turn or high articulation. That is what I did on my 98 untill I saved money to do the full lift.

Sorry, but off roading, SUVs, and what not are new to me. I bought this XJ a week ago. I don't know what [SIZE=-1]adjustable coil over spacers do or where they go. I've had sporty little cars and never had to do anything with the suspension on them as they were tuned from the factory to be pretty sweet.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Throw some 30x9.5 BFG all terrains on it and it'll look good, wheel good, and have great road manners. I got 65,000 miles out of my first set and about 50,000 out of the ones I'm running now(but thats my fault). They have a plenty aggresive look to them, too IMO.

Do the ACOS just give you some extra height on the ride? I'm reading about than and I guess I'm seeing them as something that will give you a bit more ride height, but not increase suspension travel...similar to what a body lift accomplishes?

By the way, thanks everybody for the help and patience of dealing with a complete noob. I'm used to working the opposite direction...suspension should get stiffer, shorter, and the car lower for higher speed and better handling versus softer, taller, slower.

The ACOS is an adjustable spacer that attaches to your bumpstop above the coilspring. They usually have a built in minimum of 1 1/4 or so of lift that they give you and you can adjust up from there. They seem to be great at leveling a vehicle and finetuning a lift. The downside for me is the price. You can spend $30 or so and get spacers that will give you anywhere from 1/2 an inch to 2 inches. Every ACOS I've seen is $150 or more. Does your XJ sit level or does the rear still sit a little higher than the front?

xjhiker said:
The ACOS is an adjustable spacer that attaches to your bumpstop above the coilspring. They usually have a built in minimum of 1 1/4 or so of lift that they give you and you can adjust up from there. They seem to be great at leveling a vehicle and finetuning a lift. The downside for me is the price. You can spend $30 or so and get spacers that will give you anywhere from 1/2 an inch to 2 inches. Every ACOS I've seen is $150 or more. Does your XJ sit level or does the rear still sit a little higher than the front?
I haven't really noticed one way or the other, but at the same time, like I said, it's only been mine for 8 days. I was just looking at a set for the front that were $210.

I don't know anything about the costs involved in a lift but I know it's pretty invovled and can get quite pricey.

I suppose for leveling and lifting purposes, you'd need a set for front and rear and adjust them to get the desired level-ness.

Well, now that I thought about it, these spacers would only work for the front since I have leaf springs in the rear...

Do the 30" or 31" tires fit ok in the rear without any rubbing or does something have to be modified in the back?

I run 37x13.50r15 with no lift. Oh I romp the crap out of it. I also run 3.07 gears. I recommend this setup, it rips !

Back