• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 Slip Yoke on an NP242 equipped XJ?

amongmany

NAXJA Forum User
So I was reviewing the couple of receipts that came with my new-to-me XJ and something jumped out at me.

One of the line items is for a:
50-7906 231 Fixed Yoke

A bit of googling leads to this part which appears to be for an NP231 transfer case. No surprises there.

BUT my XJ is equipped with the NP242 transfer case. Should I be concerned by this or is it interchangeable between the two transfer case styles?

I'm no expert, but I've got a '99 with a 242, and based on what little I know about it that SYE couldn't work on a 242. Have you crawled under the rig and confirmed the SYE is actually installed? I'm thinking the PO may have bought the kit in error before figuring out that it wouldn't work. And are you sure you really have a 242 and that it wasn't swapped out at some point for a 231? The paperwork (and even the shift bezel) might not match what you actually have.

I'll have to dig around. Just dropped the Jeep at the shop so we'll see. Is there an easy way to visually confirm which transfer case it is (other than the shift bezel)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Or you could try shifting through each position to see if you have part-time, full-time, neutral, and 4-low.

How do you know it is equipped with a 242 ? Crawl under and look at the t-case ID tag. If the tag is missing you can still determine the type by looking at the casting differences of the rear half of the case.

Thanks for all the replies. Found yesterday when I picked up the Jeep that it was simply mislabeled on the receipt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back