• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HAM Amateur radio license

Camping350

NAXJA Forum User
Who out here has their license? I just got book to start studying for the technician class. What kind of equipment in XJ do you have?
IMG_0105.jpg

Just take the practice tests online over and over again. The technician test is easy. The general test is a lot harder. I just have a Yaesu handheld dual band, which works very well. I do want to get a mobile unit in the truck though.

I'm an Electrical Engineer and held a First Class Radiotelephone for years. I design and test high power RF all the time. The technical part isn't the hard part for me, it is the new lingo and the rules and regs. I've been looking for a good book to work through before the test.

I may see about grabbing that book. Anybody else have any suggestions on a good book.

Tom,
We must be old ;)

You shouldn't have too much of an issue.

Things that are modern:
Transistors ;)
Digital Modes (Packet...).
Repeaters hooked to the internet (VoIP)[Echolink].
Emphasis on EMF safety and environmental impact.
Station Operation (where you can and can not operate with a class of license. and the modes you are allowed in what part of the band.
Multiple guess questions.
You don't have to draw out the diagram of a SSB Transceiver anymore (Yea!).
No Code requirement.

Here is a link to a fairly nice website. You can take tests on-line and he even recommends some books (Like the one in the OP). http://aa9pw.com/radio/technician/

-Ron

If anyone else interested in SoCal I know it is probably overkill but at the corona police dept in January there is a two day sat technician class and test for $35 and includes fee for test on second day.

Amateur Extra W1KAS... I'm another EE nerd.

No radios in my jeep. I actually haven't even put my CB back in, took it out of the XJ when I got rid of it in summer 2011 and never bothered to install it in the MJ.

I mostly got my license so I could build RF electronics and experiment with them without the FCC nailing me.

I'm taking a 1 day class and technician test tomorrow. Not sure about what radio I'll eventually end up with, but I think I'll want a handheld vs. a mobile unit mounted in the vehicle.

I've been putting off getting my license for years. I grew up in a house full of HAM's and I really do not know why I never got my license when I was young.

The confusing part to me is what radio to buy? Do I get a handheld, a mobile?

Radio equipment is like a Jeep. Depends on what kind of communication you want to do, and how much you want to spend, and how much of your own sweat and knowledge you want to put into it.

I prefer a Mobile rig myself when I can fit one in. They are usually higher power and able to carry on simplex communication over long distances (10-15 miles), and with Repeater Support can go even farther. If you get a multi-mode radio, you can participate in band openings with folks across the nation, or talk to the Space Station (cross mode only IIRC). You can also more easily get into the digital modes as many newer radios support PNP Digital mode operation.

Handhelds, though very convenient, are usually "only" a few watts and very dependent on Repeater support to carry on long distance conversations. The distance to the Repeater becomes the limiting factor. Unlike Mobile rigs which have higher power and can reach the edge of the Repeater coverage, the Handheld will be limited to a fraction of that distance to the Repeater.

That being said, if you use a good well placed external antenna, or better yet, an amplifier and external antenna on your Jeep, and plug your Handheld into that, you will increase your range both your Transmit an Receive range.
You can also use them in the house with the same method. With a high tower and an amp, you can go pretty far on Simplex.

Then again, you could do the same in both Mobile and Home applications with a good Mobile Radio an not even have to use an amp.

When you get your license, don't forget the history behind it. Much of the technology, and personal freedom, folks take for granted today is a result of this silly little ""hobby"". If you get a chance, take part in or listen to a SKYWARN or other CD operation; it will put things in perspective. :)

-Ron

Last edited:
I just renewed my license in November. Have a Yaesu FT-270 handheld but am considering a mobile unit for just the reasons Ron mentioned. To be honest, I rarely turn the radio on and have it more for "just in case", so it's hard to justify the cost of a mobile let alone the real estate inside the XJ in addition to the CB. Guess I'm not a good geek!

Did you pass

Yep, test is easy if you know basic math and are slightly technically inclined.
This was an *all day* affair. We reviewed every question in the pool from 8:30am-5:00pm and took the test after we all did a practice test. The test itself took ~15 minutes. There's only 35 multiple guess questions and you're allowed to miss 9 and still pass. The class was free and the test cost only $5.
Can't beat that.

Yep, test is easy if you know basic math and are slightly technically inclined.
This was an *all day* affair. We reviewed every question in the pool from 8:30am-5:00pm and took the test after we all did a practice test. The test itself took ~15 minutes. There's only 35 multiple guess questions and you're allowed to miss 9 and still pass. The class was free and the test cost only $5.
Can't beat that.

Congrats was that the technician class test?

Amateur Extra W1KAS... I'm another EE nerd.

No radios in my jeep. I actually haven't even put my CB back in, took it out of the XJ when I got rid of it in summer 2011 and never bothered to install it in the MJ.

I mostly got my license so I could build RF electronics and experiment with them without the FCC nailing me.

I need to do this.

what's on the amateur extra test?

I run CB, 2 meter, and 70cm in the Jeep. I only really use CB and 2 though.

My call is KJ6KVL and I passed by just taking practice tests on www.qrz.com.

Typically when on the trail I use 146.585 for simplex. I have a Yaesu FT-8800 as my primary Jeep radio, I mainly went with that because I like the dual tune and cross-band repeat options. My other radios are an FT-1900 (simple 2 meter) that I use occasionally / loan out and my handheld VX-7R. You can get a budget radio for around the $150 mark and be good to go, you don't really need to go all out.

I keep a Baofeng UV-5R <link> in my Jeep for emergencies only.

It was about $50 delivered.

It fits perfectly in a Pelican 1010 waterproof case, <link>.

one of these days I need to figure out how to use the darn thing and then get my license... or maybe the other way around.

Back