• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Copper/brass heater core for less than $400?

Pictures of core as delivered full album --
https://www.naxja.org/forum/album.php?albumid=656

Here are a few highlights...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks a lot rougher than the last dealer heater core I bought. The dealer ones had foam on them so they didn't bang around the heater box. I guess now they expect you to throw in it or come up with your own foam. But at least its not aluminum!

The dealer heater cores are now discontinued. The last one I bought was in 2016, I think they were discontinued later that year.

FWIW:A way to minimize repeat failure of the aluminum heater cores (and to some extent radiators) is to make sure that the cooling system is flushed of all old coolant prior to repair. Believe it or not coolant can get acidic enough to react with aluminum quickly. Ford actually had bulletins in the early 2000's addressing warranty returns on their heater cores caused by this.

The replacement heater cores we have done here at our shop have had an extermely high success rate because of our insistence on the flush. Hope your repair goes well.;)

Have you installed? My searching also lead me to the VISTA-PRO 399233...

No haven't put it in yet -- just got the evaporator from rock auto early this week

getting cold here in Nj so it's time real soon

figured I'd pressure test the heater core before installing -- rig up some tube and a cap to be able to put 20 pounds of air pressure in it then put the whole assembly under water and look for bubbles -- I'll do that this week

No haven't put it in yet -- just got the evaporator from rock auto early this week

getting cold here in Nj so it's time real soon

figured I'd pressure test the heater core before installing -- rig up some tube and a cap to be able to put 20 pounds of air pressure in it then put the whole assembly under water and look for bubbles -- I'll do that this week

What evaporator did you go with? I am also going to replace mine, doesn't seem there is as much quality concern on those as the heater core.

Back in 2010 I had to replace my evaporator core, and struggled to no end to find a decent copper heater core... And never did. Ended up reusing my original/old one because the one copper one I *did* find didn't even properly fit in the HVAC box.

In for info.

Tired ordering a Vista Pro from a site listing them... they emailed me they no longer stock it...dang. Mine doesn't leak but the heat is far from great, I'm scared to open it up and put in a worse one...

I cant believe Chrysler hasn't resourced this part, the volume is huge, and its obvious the available options suck.

I cant believe Chrysler hasn't resourced this part, the volume is huge, and its obvious the available options suck.

If we keep fixing our xj's...how will FCA manage to sell us one of those dodge darts with a weight problem theyre trying to pass off as Cherokees.

(201) 338-2013 is the number for Dan at Radiator supreme -- 94$ for the heater core -- 18$ shipping anywhere in the lower 48 -- I'm not entirely sure how I like these guys, still no receipt from them for my purchase -- figure if I have a problem I'm going right to Thermal solutions for warranty -- I'll use my credit card statement for proof of purchase

I hope to pressure test the core this week -- should have time tomorrow

As for the evaporator I bought the Four seasons 54188 and I also bought the drier/accumulator 83106 from four seasons -- all from Rock auto -- I haven't actually opened the box for the drier but the evaporator looks to be of quality construction

So I got it rigged up to pressure test the heater core -- Put about 22 pounds of air into it and submerged the core into a tub of water -- No bubbles -- left it there for an hour -- pressure gauge stayed right where it started

I did get it installed the other day -- the out of rectangle core didn't matter much the way it fits in the heater box -- The input and output tubes did need some bending to get them in the right place

The thermal solutions core was thicker than the core I took out -- Not sure if it's the stock core or not but it was copper brass -- I have pictures I'll post up once I get the chance

The big difference is in the horizontal radiator "tubes" -- the stock or removed heater core although thinner has more horizontal tubes for coolant to flow -- Substantially more -- 16 tubes for coolant flow on the vista pro -- 24 tubes on the one I pulled out -- although thinner the core I pulled out has more fluid filled surface area

I haven't run the jeep yet, so I have no comment on performance of the vista pro -- I hoping to get it running tonight -- all went smooth, I'm just being anal about cleaning all the previous owners dog hair out from under everything I removed to get at the heater box

Ugh, this Vista Pro is our best bet, huh? I really hate the idea of paying someone for that spotty-looking build quality and negligent packaging...

Ugh, this Vista Pro is our best bet, huh? I really hate the idea of paying someone for that spotty-looking build quality and negligent packaging...

I got the Vista Pro and while it’s build quality wasn’t the same as the original, it’s has been performing excellently ever since! I also posted a video to my YouTube channel that lets you see the difference between the original, the garbage aluminum ones, and the Vist Pro.

https://youtu.be/cmkFxxcqlUE

Back