NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old April 7th, 2021, 19:02
NAXJA Forum User

New Member 93 XJ Help Needed

Greetings all. I bought a 93 XJ 2WD Auto a few months ago and have enjoyed reading this forum since jumping into the Jeep world.

I've noticed the past couple of months that if I stop at a stop sign at the base of a steep hill, the jeep struggles to have the power to get up it.

Today, if I stopped at any incline, then start up it, it acts as if the jeep jumps put of gear or something and will not advance. Even if I shift down, no change. I had to shift to park, turn off then restart the engine, then proceed in 3 to get up the hill. It runs flawless on level grades.

The tranny fluid level is full and color is light pink.

Can't be a clogged convertor since it hasn't had one since I've owned it.

Possible IAC valve?

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance
Old April 8th, 2021, 03:53
Freakish Hand Strength

Re: New Member 93 XJ Help Needed

With some basic search terms in Google you can locate the AW-4 Transmission Diagnostics and Service Manual. Follow the diagnostic and testing procedures.

Some Cherokee owners report shifting issues when using ATF instead of the recommended Dexron-III/Mercon fluid.

Likely suspects are the transmission shift solenoids, Transmission Control Unit, the Throttle Position Sensor, or their wires/wire plugs. Inspect and test them first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.

Last edited by Tim_MN; April 8th, 2021 at 06:35.
Old April 8th, 2021, 20:03
NAXJA Forum User

Re: New Member 93 XJ Help Needed

Issues have multiplied now. It will sometimes shift into gear, and sometimes it will not. If I shift into reverse and it actually goes into reverse, then shift into a forward gear, it will at some point lose that gear and then won't actually engage reverse the next time I attempt it. I have to put in park, turn the jeep off, then back on and then back to reverse successfully.