• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Captain America Build

HossHoffer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finally onto my newest build. A 2001 that I picked up to send my daughter to college in. She is back from school so I'm able to get to the build. This rig will be used for trails and towing an teardrop style trailer off highway.

What I have scavenged so far: 8.8 axle with disc brakes; Front brakes from a WJ; Front drive-line for SYE.

What I plan to buy: 4.5" Rough Country long arm lift kit; 17" rims with 33" tires; Fender flares; SYE kit; 4.10 gears with front and rear lockers.

Future fabrication and mods that I can do at home: Front and rear bumpers; Safari style top; Stroker engine.

The lift is going to be put on by a friend in southern Utah. He has a YouTube channel called Fab Rats and if you watch it Papa Dar and I were boyhood friends and learned to wrench together in his dad's shop.

Since I have been out of the game for about a decade I would appreciate any suggestions/info as to preferred lift kits, SYE kits, lockers, tires, rims, etc. I miss the group and want to get back out there with you in a capable rig.

Thanks, Hoss

Hey Hoss, great to see you back around.

A good option on the cheaper end of the lift kit spectrum is the IRO 3 Link

https://www.ironrockoffroad.com/product/xj-55-rock-link-long-arm-lift-kit.html

Not much has changed with lockers over the years. Yukon has a few options you may not be familiar with.

231 SYEs are so cheap these days no real reason not to get an AA or JB

https://www.advanceadapters.com/pro...process-231j-fixed-yoke-kit-50-7906--50-7907/

https://www.jbconversions.com/products/sye/np231j_std_sye.php

Yeah skip the junk country. IRO or stinky fab would be better options for lifts. I'd go 4.56 on 33s unless you have a ax15. I run falken wildpeak at3w on my wj and really like. Also get some frame stiffeners in the mix if you havent considered those all ready.

I ran 33's with 4.10's on Maximus and had no issues however I didn't tow in the mountains. Something to think about as I have to drive over the divide with a teardrop trailer so it may be 4.56.

As far as the lift kit goes, I recently helped put a Rough Country kit on and have to say they have improved them somewhat. That said, nothing is written in stone. I have to make up my mind quickly as I only have 3 weeks until the build.

Frame stiffeners are in the mix as well as another stroker motor. The stroker might have been the best bang for the buck I spent on a rig and great fun since it was done with my son. Thanks for the heads up on the Falkens. I have also been looking at the Patagonia tires which work great in the southern Utah sand.

Thanks for the responses!, Hoss

I had 4.10s on my old XJ and while it wasnt terrible I always wished for deeper gears. I do have some new 4.56s for a hp30 and 8.25 I'm not going to be using if you're interested. Also some practically new 33 firestone destination MTs on my MJ that will be coming off soon. Just need to get the MJ moved to the new house to start stripping it down.

I could be interested in those 4.56 gears if Hoss doesn't want them... Let me know what you have and your pricing. I have some Yukons coming, but they have been backordered for over a month now.

With that....Hoss...I'd really suggest 4.56 for your 33s as well. I ran 4.56 on 33s in the NJ/PA area 15 years ago (same situation as you...just getting back into it). I was hesitant back then, but quickly sold. It was perfect. No top speed limit that I ever found. I've made the decision to do 4.56 on 31s due to my past experience, and new geographic location.

Last edited:
Back