• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np241 no front output

zachandandy

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Took the jeep out Sunday for the first time since destroying the Dana 30. Shift into 4lo and everything seems ok. First gnarly hill climb and I'm having trouble making it. Back down and compensate with throttle. Make it to the top and my brother in law asks why I don't have it in 4wd. Unlock the hubs and sure enough I can turn the front driveshaft by hand in all tcase positions. Pulled the case today, pull it in half and everything looks ok. Shift it into 4lo and it's engaging. Put the case halves back together and no front engagement. I am at a loss. What could it be? Chain and front output shaft are fine. What am I looking at? Do I need a new case?

Well you did say you destroyed the 30. So did the ring gear or the pinion gear or both ever make it back into the pumkin. Ive known people to make some pretty dumb moves like this, not saying your as dumb as them.

Hp44 took its place. Yes it has gears in it. After further research, I think it is the mode selector fork, as the range selection is fine, but the front won't engage. I will try pulling it apart tonight and see what is going on.

I had mine apart a little while ago...the mode fork is #9, and #8 is a spring that holds it against the drive gear until the teeth line up in order to make shifting easier. Flip side is it can feel like it shifts but not actually push the shift collar onto the drive gear.

Since there's no direct mechanical link between the shift selector and the mode fork, I'd look first to see if that spring is missing or damaged, and then make sure the mode fork and shift collar move freely. Removing the whole shifter assembly is rather a pain in the ass if you've never done it before.

edit: set screw #55 installs through an access hole by the shift lever and holds everything together, did you reinstall that piece?

NP242.jpg

I didnt pull the guts out. When i pulled the case in half and shifted it, the front shaft engaged. When i put it back together,it wouldnt engage. I will pull it apart tonight and look atthe springs.

Back