NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old July 8th, 2010, 13:09
NAXJA Forum User

AW-4 transmission cooler lines

Do you need a special disconnection tool to remove the transmission cooler lines, if so what size (AW4 transmission, 2001 XJ) Thanks.
Old July 8th, 2010, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

Re: AW-4 transmission cooler lines

3/8, but depends on the line connections you have. If it has the plastic clamps then you just have to squeez them. I just did this replacement. It is a PITA. The new line has a different connection where it goes into the cooler. But on mine where it went into the trans I had to reuse the old plastic clamp. Be carefull not to break it. Good Luck
Old July 8th, 2010, 13:23
NAXJA Forum User

I do have the plastic clamps at the tranny end but I'm not sure at the radiator end. Thanks for the info, I will probably do it the weekend.
Old July 8th, 2010, 14:54
NAXJA Forum User

The radiator side (on a 2000-01)requires the little plastic release tool.
Old July 8th, 2010, 17:16
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

^ Also required on anything 91-up as far as I know, and probably 90-down too.

I usually end up cutting the blasted line off and using fuel injection hose clamps. Much easier to remove the next time.

Do yourself a favor and buy two Dorman 800-714s (tranny fittings) as it is easiest to just unscrew them and replace. They're 7/8" hex, can use a socket or box wrench on them easily.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old January 8th, 2011, 07:18
NAXJA Forum User

So I replaced both soft lines, re-used the upper radiator hard-line, and installed two Dorman 800-714s on my co-worker's 92 XJ. It no longer leaks at the tranny, but gushes at the upper radiator hardline to softline junction. Once the soft line snaps on, it can slide up and down the hardline about 1/4-1/3". Is there supposed to be a washer, spacer, or o-ring on the hardline to eliminate that play, or is that due to cheap rock auto parts(I forget if they were dorman or not)? Can I cut off an inch or so off the softline to eliminate the quick disco, leave the hardline as is, and clamp it? I'm already over working on this guy's jeep(this is the 5th X over a year) and still need to get to the bottom of my own Jeep's issue: cranks, no start condition, but have spark and gas; starter spinning sounds like there's no compression resistance, so need to comp check it(did the timing chain jump a tooth or so?)

Last edited by gradon; January 8th, 2011 at 07:22.