• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab 2018 convoy

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
Been talking about this for a few months now and we talked about it last weekend at Redbird.

Several of us are looking at leaving for Moab on October 6th, 2018 in the AM.

The plan would be to make it to Colby, KS. This would put us 9 hours from Moab on October 7th and in town by supper after navigating the mountains.

In 2013 we stayed at the Quality Inn
https://www.choicehotels.com/kansas...heckInDate=2018-10-06&checkOutDate=2018-10-07

Nice hotel, looked new then, lots of parking for trucks and trailers all around the building.

Less than $70 for the night.

We don't have to necessarily travel on each other's bumpers the entire way there, but it would give us all a good goal for the day and a fresh start at the mountains the next day.

This would be for those that plan to travel I70 to Moab from the Midwest.

I usually travel at 68-70 mph with the RV and trailer...at least until the mountains.

mac 'westbound and down' gyvr

I will be leaving Southwest Indiana early Saturday morning (Oct 6); either crossing IL on US50 to STL or cutting North to Effingham, IL to pick up I-70.

I prefer to keep it around 70, +/- a few depending on traffic.

If we decide on a FRS channel we could set up comms for rest/fuel stops, etc.

Illiana 'convoy' XJ

I plan on hitting I-70 about 30 miles west of Effingham, Saturday between 745-800 AM.

JIM.

Effingham is usually my first stop for fuel...

mac ‘will be behind you a bit’ gyvr

I'm planning to head out of Nashville the afternoon of the 5th and make it as far as Columbia MO (on i-70 between STL and KC). Then on the 6th make it to Colorado Springs or further so that I can drive Imogene Pass out of Telluride on Sunday the 7th, camp in Ouray that night, then drive Black Bear Pass back into Telluride on Monday. That would put me in Moab around late afternoon on Monday.

If anyone is interested in not doing a straight shot to Moab, but rather doing a couple trails in CO on the way, I'd be interested in some company. Moab is going to be the highlight, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to do two bucket list trails since the chances of me hauling my Jeep that far again is a ways down the road.

Will probably join in on this convoy down I70. Me and brother in law are planning to leave out early just don't know what time yet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Bumping this back to the top as we are around 40 days away from the convoy.

I have altered plans just a little bit in the fact that I am staying in a cabin in Moab and I'm towing out with the new truck instead of the RV. It should be a less stressful trip for me...I hope.

Where do you guys want to stay in Kansas? Is Colby still a good goal for the night on October 6th?

mac 'getting amp'd up' gyvr

I think that's where we are gonna try and stop at? Iis there a certain hotel or something everyone goes to?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just that quality inn that i mentioned in the first post. We stayed there in 2013 and it was nice and seemed safe.

It makes the next day about 9 hours on the road into Moab...

mac 'into the Jeep mecca' gyvr

Colby works for us.

JIM.

I reserved a room at the Quality Inn in Colby.

This one

mac 'for the night of the 6th' gyvr

I would like to join this convoy. I will prolly sleep in my truck where ever we stop(cheap bastard). Let me know when and where to meet on the morning of departure. I have added a 20 gallon fuel cell to my truck to keep up with all the newer rides. If I can't keep up, no worries. I haven't tested it yet, but I will in the next day or two. Any advice on this is much appreciated.

This one turned out kinda blurry.???

Looks sexy.

You can stay at my house friday night the 5th if you want...for free ;)

mac ‘early Saturday start’ gyvr

Looks sexy.

You can stay at my house friday night the 5th if you want...for free ;)

mac ‘early Saturday start’ gyvr

Free is my favorite "F" word. Sounds like a plan. I can work overtime on Friday and then come to your house. Awesome(Thanks).

Only thing I would say is to mount you fuel pump below cell or as low as u can go. That way it doesn't loose its prime.
I would like to join this convoy. I will prolly sleep in my truck where ever we stop(cheap bastard). Let me know when and where to meet on the morning of departure. I have added a 20 gallon fuel cell to my truck to keep up with all the newer rides. If I can't keep up, no worries. I haven't tested it yet, but I will in the next day or two. Any advice on this is much appreciated.

This one turned out kinda blurry.???

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

I have a reservation at:
Quality Inn
1950 South Range Avenue,
Colby, KS, US, 67701

On October 6th, 2018

mac 'see you there' gyvr

Back