• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody got a MT2500 "Red Brick" Renix tester I can borrow for a minute?

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody got a MT2500 "Red Brick" Renix tester I can borrow for a minute?

Need to see what is keeping my ECU in open loop mode. Everything was fine, I motored across I-80 from Salt Lake to Laramie and averaged 85 mph. Went to pull off to get gas in Laramie and bam, the alternator froze up and melted the serpentine belt. I was able to limp a mile to a parts store and grab a new alternator and change it in the parking lot. When I fired it back up and headed the rest of the way home, I noticed it was not running as good and I checked the AFR (air fuel ratio) gage and it is reading a solid 10, instead of around 13-15. It is that way from cold idle to hot freeway speeds, which tells me it is running in open loop (limp mode)

I've done a good visual and can't see anything. I am getting ready to hook up a vacuum gage and make sure I don't have any leaks. After that I will measure the MAP and MAT, but it would be nice to use a MT-2500 and look at the O2 output as well. It runs fine, but is acting like it is running rich.

I can meet anywhere from Denver north. I am in a hurry since I am heading back to Salt Lake City Sunday afternoon.

Tom Houston
970-391-8927 cell

Re: Anybody got a MT2500 "Red Brick" Renix tester I can borrow for a minute?

Tip of the day.... pick up spare sensors the next time you are at the junk yard. Rather than mess with back probing the connector to check out the O2 sensor, I just grabbed one of my junk yard spares from under the back seat and did a quick swap. Presto, the problem appears to be fixed.

It is a bit odd that both the alternator and O2 crapped out at exactly the same time. O2 sensors are virtually impervious to voltage spikes and such, but replacing it did the trick.

The stroker is still running strong at roughly 250k miles.

Just got a red brick on ebay, I never knew about them until about a week ago.

I’m curious how a stroker would do on a CA smog check.
Do they smog in CO.

I have tuned my stroker over the years and it will pass the 2018 smog standards.

A lot has to do with how it was designed as far as quench height, compression, cam, exhaust, injectors, etc.

I got 18mpg doing 85-90 across Wyoming this week.

The single most important gage in tuning is an AFR Air Fuel Ratio.

I also use a MAP adjuster to help trim the fuel.

Last edited:

Wow, I’m lucky to get 12 mpg at 70mph. Won’t go much faster with 4:56 35” tires.

Are you back in CA? We just had a 7.1 in Ridgecrest..

It is a bit odd that both the alternator and O2 crapped out at exactly the same time. O2 sensors are virtually impervious to voltage spikes and such, but replacing it did the trick.
Interesting, it seems like the heaters in our RENIX HEGOS crap out before the sensor itself. I'm glad your intuition was right.

i have Nick's REM if any renix peeps need to look into the doings of the engine.

Back