• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle swap suggestions

blackxj227

NAXJA Forum User
was just snooping under my 95 XJ. discovered it still has the Chryler 8.25 rear and Dana 30 front. So obviously this need to change.
Which axles would bolt up relatively easy?

Wondering why you think they need changing ? The only "better" XJ bolt up axles are the 1997-01 29 spline 8.25 rear and the XJ tow package Dana 44 rear. The TJ Rubicon Dana 44 front axle will bolt up, but is only marginally better. Anything else "better" would require fabrication and welding, unless you order a new custom axle assembly.

Last edited:
mainly concerned about that 30 not having the brass to hold up to bigger tires and engine upgrades. I prefer to match axles when I can as well

What do you consider tire and engine upgrades?

both those stock axles can be easily built to handle 35's, mine do & i run hard trails w/ lockers front & rear. just drive w/ a little respect for them, i havent broke a part in 5 yrs. wait had a flat tire once.

Nothing wrong with a d30 and 8.25. They can be built to handle 35 s. Nothing better will bolt up. If you want better you're going to need to fab and drop some cash.

Dana 30 is plenty good enough in a sub 4,000-pound SUV, especially if built as others have suggested. It's why they continue to manufacture them after 40+ years. Swapping the Dana 30 to say, a Dana 44 will require a lot of fab work, big bucks, or possibly both.

I've seen a Chrysler 8.25 with welded gears stand up to a small block making 500+ horsepower at the crank. In a 1/2 ton truck. On drag slicks. At the strip. So I'd say that's plenty good enough in a small SUV too, again, especially if built. A factory tow package XJ Dana 44 MIGHT be marginally stronger, but also difficult to find. If you absolutely have to have something bigger in the back end, swapping in a Ford 8.8 is a popular choice.

Have you broke anything yet?

If not, keep beating on it. I've been locked on both ends on 33s for a couple years and have seriously beat on the rig. Axles haven't even flinched.

There's a rig that ran KOH a few weeks ago locked on 35s with stock axles. They also race the eastern rock series with the same rig and have for several years. Havent broke anything in a while. Chromo inners.

I personally found a set of waggy 44s. Dropped the coin to pick them up along with a set of 37s. Im about 20% into the swap but now I'm kinda wondering WTF I was thinking. It's a long term project but a pretty big PITA.

Upgrade your 30 inners if you're worried about it. If not, there are likely better places to put the coin in your rig.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

8.25 isnt a terrible axle. Run it till it dies.
If you want something better, ford 8.8 is the way to go. Its stronger than a d44, and fits with minimal work .
D30 ... well, its not a great axle, but swapping that Is more involved. I beefed mine up, when it goes I'll replace it, but to run something better, like a d44 or d60 takes some work , you need a decent amount of clearance. ,

Wondering why you think they need changing ? The only "better" XJ bolt up axles are the 1997-01 29 spline 8.25 rear and the XJ tow package Dana 44 rear. The TJ Rubicon Dana 44 front axle will bolt up, but only is marginally better. Anything else "better" would require fabrication and welding, unless you order a new custom axle assembly.

I never understood why people think the 8.25 and hp30 are terrible...

Nothing wrong with a d30 and 8.25. They can be built to handle 35 s. Nothing better will bolt up. If you want better you're going to need to fab and drop some cash.

Exactly

Dana 30 is plenty good enough in a sub 4,000-pound SUV, especially if built as others have suggested. It's why they continue to manufacture them after 40+ years. Swapping the Dana 30 to say, a Dana 44 will require a lot of fab work, big bucks, or possibly both.

I've seen a Chrysler 8.25 with welded gears stand up to a small block making 500+ horsepower at the crank. In a 1/2 ton truck. On drag slicks. At the strip. So I'd say that's plenty good enough in a small SUV too, again, especially if built. A factory tow package XJ Dana 44 MIGHT be marginally stronger, but also difficult to find. If you absolutely have to have something bigger in the back end, swapping in a Ford 8.8 is a popular choice.

Amen.

8.25 isnt a terrible axle. Run it till it dies.
If you want something better, ford 8.8 is the way to go. Its stronger than a d44, and fits with minimal work .
D30 ... well, its not a great axle, but swapping that Is more involved. I beefed mine up, when it goes I'll replace it, but to run something better, like a d44 or d60 takes some work , you need a decent amount of clearance. ,

I like my HP30, I'm running it bone stock with 4.10s and locker on 35s, she's great. Granted I'm stock HP, but none the less...

I like my HP30, I'm running it bone stock with 4.10s and locker on 35s, she's great. Granted I'm stock HP, but none the less...

So am I, 4.10's and tru trac.. it's a PITA to get a d44 or d60 up front, so if it lasts, it lasts, and if it dies, I'll replace it, I'm not going to chase the upgrade on this one.

Back