NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old November 1st, 2018, 11:09
NAXJA Forum User

transmission and power steering inline filters

Hello

For my 1990 XJ, I am considering both an inline power steering fluid filter and transmission ATF filter.

Is this a good idea, or foolish ie can cause trouble with failure, low flow etc...?

I am new to cars with automatics, and powersteering, so I am clueless as to the adviseability of inline filters for these systems. What seems like a good idea may not be sometimes.

I have read reviews of some inline steering filters and found reports that some have failed and blew out. If a filter is a good idea, which brand is a good one, one that it not prone to fail, leak, clog rapidly, etc...

My power steering pump and gear box will be brand new. I do have a two pass tube type cooler mounted in front of radiator for the steering.

For the tranny, I have a plate type cooler.

So what is the advice for adding inline filters to these two systems? Which brands filters are advised, if any?

Thank you
Old November 1st, 2018, 11:20
NAXJA Forum User

Re: transmission and power steering inline filters

The trans filter already built into it is fine, as far as the PS goes a good filter that can handle the flow rate and fine enough(microns) won't come cheap.
Old November 1st, 2018, 12:24
NAXJA Member

The trans filter is a metal screen. I added an external filter to mine only after I grenaded the trans in it. It's just a cheap derale filter housing that I use with hydraulic filters on. They're actually the same as the 51515 wix I use on the engine but the hydraulic filters are a little different. I initially intended to use it on the power steering mostly just to add fluid capacity but ended up using it for the trans.
Old November 1st, 2018, 14:18
NAXJA Member

I highly recommend putting a filter on both ps and tranny.
I forgot where I got it from,but I have a filter on the hi-pressure side of PS pump, filter is designed to be under hi pressure (I was looking for one that had AN style fittings, that was what I found). There are others out there that go on low pressure. ditto for tranny-- they make ones that are screw in, just like your regular oil filter .

Trail ride: 1988 XJ: Motor/plumbing/electrical: 350 sbc, crane cam, holly performer intake, Terminator EFI, novak shorty headers, novak aluminum radiator; MSD ignition
Drive train: d30 front, F8.8 rear, 4.11 gears, np242 transfer case, rusty under-armor; fully locked with detroit lockers; Chevy 700r4 tranny, 35" MT's
Old November 1st, 2018, 21:28
NAXJA Member #1310

A few decades ago, when fuel filters were made out of metal, I used them for power steering filters, always on the return line.
When the filter manufacturers switched to plastic, the "improved" fuel filters couldn't take the pressure so I switched to Magnafine magnetic in-line filters and have used them for many years without failure.
They are available for both power steering and automatic transmissions.
Both of my Jeeps have used them for years.
https://magnefinefilters.com
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger 4.6, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, NP242, Towing baseplate
Old November 2nd, 2018, 16:08
NAXJA Member # 13

Same experience as lazyxj, Magnefine is my go-to for PS and Trans filters.
Old November 5th, 2018, 06:09
NAXJA Member

I use the Wix 3/8 magnetic filter on my tranny, don't use anything on the PS but probably should
Old November 5th, 2018, 18:37
NAXJA Member

I use the 'Raybestos Powertrain Inline Magnetic Automatic Transmission Filter 3/8' for the power steering. Never had an issue.
Old November 5th, 2018, 21:05
NAXJA Forum User

Where do you guys mount the Magnefine filter for the transmission?
I'm considering cutting the rubber portion of the return line from the radiator,
would this be best...?
Old November 6th, 2018, 04:15
NAXJA Member

After wrestling with it for a long time I finally settled on putting it on the supply line, to prevent buildup in the cooler
Old November 8th, 2018, 05:07
NAXJA Forum User

Generally you want to filter hot, prior to cooler, as this reduces flow resistance when the oil, or AFT is hot, and thus low viscosity.