• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CAN bus to CCD bus Protocol Translator(Chrysler PCM Simulator)

I've been enjoying reading through this thread very much! I'm in the final stages of installing the new Cummins R2.8 crate engine (diesel) into my 97' XJ. I'd love a plug and play module that would integrate my stock sensors (fuel tank level, voltmeter, speedo, etc.) and the CAN data transmitted by the ECM and send that to my stock gauge cluster. I see it's been almost a year since the last post, did a commercially available unit ever get produced?

Currently my gauges are all dead though my speedometer and fuel tank sensors are hooked up to the PCM and showing power, signal output and ground. My cluster is good per the self-diagnosis procedure. Anyone know how to get at least the speedometer and fuel gauges working while I figure out the rest?? I'm guessing it's got something to do with the 5v supply wire to the cam and crank sensors not showing any resistance and no signal input from those sensors. Any way to trick them? Thanks!

I am shockingly close to a design that I will open source once it's running with my TDI swap. At that point you can make your own for very little money. My price point for components is in the neighborhood of $100, and I'm doing the whole thing as through-hole so anyone can assemble one with basic tools and a beer or two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I've been enjoying reading through this thread very much! I'm in the final stages of installing the new Cummins R2.8 crate engine (diesel) into my 97' XJ. I'd love a plug and play module that would integrate my stock sensors (fuel tank level, voltmeter, speedo, etc.) and the CAN data transmitted by the ECM and send that to my stock gauge cluster. I see it's been almost a year since the last post, did a commercially available unit ever get produced?

I have prototype hardware that I am using to add more supported vehicle buses. I am working on GMLAN and Chrysler PCI Bus right now(Finishing up a LS swap in my Wrangler.)

That's great news! I've got a good friend who's a lot better at this stuff than I am that I will probably recruit for this when the time comes. Can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I would think there would be a decent market for this kind of thing since a whole new gauge and sensor setup could cost over $600 with good components, not to mention that the stock gauges just make for a much cleaner finished product. I'll stay tuned!

I am shockingly close to a design that I will open source once it's running with my TDI swap. At that point you can make your own for very little money. My price point for components is in the neighborhood of $100, and I'm doing the whole thing as through-hole so anyone can assemble one with basic tools and a beer or two.

That sounds great! How are you liking the TDI? I considered that option but there aren't any junkyards here on the Big Island where I live to pull parts from so a crate engine seemed more do-able despite the upfront cost. The Cummins has been great, just working out a couple kinks with fan controllers and ac lines, etc. Normal engine swap speed bumps.

Is your set-up based on the Teensy chip you and Alexia were discussing? I've never played with anything like this before so I'll be recruiting a friend of mine from the industry that deals with programmable hardware regularly. I'm looking forward to seeing your setup. In the meantime, would you mind providing a basic parts list so I can get things on order? Thanks in advance!

That sounds great! How are you liking the TDI? I considered that option but there aren't any junkyards here on the Big Island where I live to pull parts from so a crate engine seemed more do-able despite the upfront cost. The Cummins has been great, just working out a couple kinks with fan controllers and ac lines, etc. Normal engine swap speed bumps.

Is your set-up based on the Teensy chip you and Alexia were discussing? I've never played with anything like this before so I'll be recruiting a friend of mine from the industry that deals with programmable hardware regularly. I'm looking forward to seeing your setup. In the meantime, would you mind providing a basic parts list so I can get things on order? Thanks in advance!

For CAN bus to CCD bus:
Teensy 3.2
2x CAN bus transceivers - I used the TJA1050 chip to do write only for the CCD bus.
Power supply - I used a single voltage regulator to power the Teensy.

I actually just started my swap and drove it for the first time last week. I love it! I have a bad turbo that I need to replace before it goes back into drivable status, but I'm definitely loving the torque. I already have a couple other VW's so it made sense for me and when I started the Cummins wasn't out yet. I've got a super detailed write-up on tdiclub, but most of the same content is in my build thread here, minus a month or so of weekends.

I actually derived from the route Alexia started with. I'm using a stm32f4xx running micropython because python has a smaller learning curve than C/C++ for people that aren't in the firmware business (I am... But I wanted to try it out). My other gripe is the teensy 3.2 is based on the k20, which is dated at this point. NPX does not recommend the k20 for new designs. I don't think the teensy 3.2 is going anywhere because China is pumping out counterfeit boards, but still. I wanted the mbed sdk for the k20 and could no longer get it from npx's tool, mcuxpresso. They really are pushing the k26 for new designs.

I'm doing a dual CAN design, and using a j1709 chip for the CCD side cause I can read the bus as well as transmit. Doesn't matter in the long run, but avoids bus collisions. Either board will do what you need. I'm too busy with my day job to fab and sell boards, so why not just share them with the Jeep community?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I only use Teensy 3.2 for my prototyping phases since it speeds up the process and I have them laying around.(Granted, it ends up staying in all of my dumb around the house projects.) I will probably moved to the Teensy 3.6 with the K66 eventually once I run out.

The alpha hardware sample I have in hand is entirely different. This really is something I should have completed a couple years ago, but life has got in the way.

I have a "finished" schematic that I have handed off to an electrical engineer and work should start soon on creating a "final" PCB since my personal PCB designs are garbage.(There is always feature creep!) I am 100% free of a job until the end of October so I am making this my job to get this created and out there.

So far:
* 2x CAN Bus
* Single Wire CAN (Low Speed) Bus
* CCD Bus
* ISO9141 K and L Bus
* J1850 Bus
* 5v DAC for simulating engine health sensor output
* 12v DAC for simulating engine health sensor output
* SD Card slot for data logging
* QSPI 32Mbit Flash for additional code storage(CircuitPython support)
* JTAG/SWD 10 pin connector
* USB port for end user configuration and flashing

I'm doing an LS swap 04 Intrepid soon. Will this help in that? I'd like to keep it factory body and run MS3 goldbox. Or is the CCD bus different in this vehicle from jeeps?

Megasquirt is not something I plan to support at the moment. It uses an active polling protocol instead of a protocol that is always broadcasting like every other OEM protocol.

I am back now with Chrysler PCI bus support. The format for the individual pieces of data is similar to CCD, but the protocol for how the data is presented is slightly different.

ChryslerPCIBusSupport.jpg

EAGLE is some good PCB design software. Looks like that board could be a little smaller but not too much, maybe 50% reduction. What connectors are those?

EAGLE is some good PCB design software. Looks like that board could be a little smaller but not too much, maybe 50% reduction. What connectors are those?

Some of the blank area is there for future expansion and still be able to use the same enclosure. Having a JTAG connector out there all alone is a bit silly. :p

Molex Mini50

Back