• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Lower Intake Manifold Upgrade

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I've learned something new on the 200Forums in the last couple days, apparently Chrysler is now putting a higher flowing lower intake on the newer P.U.G. version of the Pentastar engines. Not only will it fit the 3.6l back to 2011, but also will fit the 3.2l in the KL body Jeep Cherokee!

https://www.200forums.com/forum/58-...ussion/64052-higher-flowing-lower-intake.html

For the Pentastars that don't have it, this could very well be like swapping the '99-'06 4.0l intake manifold onto a '98 and older rig!

Well, I've learned something new on the 200Forums in the last couple days, apparently Chrysler is now putting a higher flowing lower intake on the newer P.U.G. version of the Pentastar engines. Not only will it fit the 3.6l back to 2011, but also will fit the 3.2l in the KL body Jeep Cherokee!

https://www.200forums.com/forum/58-...ussion/64052-higher-flowing-lower-intake.html

For the Pentastars that don't have it, this could very well be like swapping the '99-'06 4.0l intake manifold onto a '98 and older rig!

I stumbled onto this post a while back. I installed the newer style lower onto my 2016 JK Rubicon last week. While I can't say exactly how much of a gain it was the engine definitely revs quicker and I downshift less on my usual morning commute grades. It was worth the time and effort for sure. Thanks for posting.

I stumbled onto this post a while back. I installed the newer style lower onto my 2016 JK Rubicon last week. While I can't say exactly how much of a gain it was the engine definitely revs quicker and I downshift less on my usual morning commute grades. It was worth the time and effort for sure. Thanks for posting.

Not a problem, when I read that it's a 100% alternative to porting the stock part, and flows better to boot, I figure I'm not the only person on here with something Pentastar powered that would find it interesting. Did you have to make any tuning changes to the computer to work with it, or did it just work? I'm debating about getting that and the MSD Coil Packs for my 2012 200 with the 3.6l when it comes time to do the plugs in it.

Not a problem, when I read that it's a 100% alternative to porting the stock part, and flows better to boot, I figure I'm not the only person on here with something Pentastar powered that would find it interesting. Did you have to make any tuning changes to the computer to work with it, or did it just work? I'm debating about getting that and the MSD Coil Packs for my 2012 200 with the 3.6l when it comes time to do the plugs in it.

No extra tuning as everything else is stock. Still have the OEM air cleaner too. After 4000 miles the PCM has adapted and seems happy with the change.

I finally got the Upgrade lower for my 200 today, bought new gasket, plugs and MSD Coils for the Pentastar in the last few weeks and have had a RPM Motorsports intake tube for the '11-'14 3.6l Avenger and 200 (think it fits the 3.6l Journeys as well) that replaces the corregated tubing and resonators these use from the factory.

For anybody wondering, here's the port shapes and the Mahle gaskets that Summit listed as OEM side for my 200, looks like Chrysler planned ahead for bigger runners, the normal gaskets fit the "Upgrade" intake on the head end where the runners are larger.

Ok, been a while since I posted anywhere on here, but the above parts are now on my 200!

I’ve only got a few hundred miles since everything was done, but I noticed a surprising change with just the coils and lower intake manifold. Here it is with everything installed with a without the plastic cover.

Then here’s where the real difference in the intake runner design is, not sure why it’s got the humps in the runners on the original design on the left, but the way Chrysler got rid of them made a surprisingly big difference compared to what both Dad and we’re expecting.

What will be your next plan now? Are you done with this build?

Sorry, I’m just now seeing this post.

Not much at this point other than to drive it and enjoy it as it is. I was hospitalized with MRSA back in February and because of the garbage insurance I have via my employer (which was really good when I got hired 5 years ago) pretty much refused to pay for anything other than physicals, so I’m stuck with a 6 digit hospital bill that I may never be able to pay off. Other than the replacement Sylvania Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs 235/50ZR18 BFG Comp 2 A/S+ tires on it, almost everything that went into the above, as well as the brake upgrades and the new rear shocks and springs were bought before this time last year. A couple weeks before we did the intake swap, we put fresh R1 Concepts semi-metallic pads and their “Geomet” rotors as well as KYB/Mickey Thompson preassembled springs and shocks in back on a Saturday. Then that Sunday, we used some export market brackets that I was able to get that let you swap the factory single piston calipers and 11.7” rotors out for the 2 piston LX car calipers and 13.4” minivan rotors that EU market 200s got with the pads and rotors being otherwise matching to the rear brake pieces from R1 Concepts.

Here’s the new front brakes,

Here’s how much the new brakes fill out the factory 18” wheels

Calipers

Pads (not show is nearly twice the pad material too!) and adapter bracket

The side by side of the stock vs upgraded front brakes in the wheels

Then here’s the new rear brakes and shock/spring assembly installed.

And through the wheel, which looks tiny compared to the 18” wheel, though Dad wants to find a way to get the rear EU brakes on it too, which will likely require 302mm rear rotors (stock is 262mm and I can’t remember the conversion to inches), bigger backing plate, the longer caliper bracket and hose to swap……..and think can be sourced from a Pentastar equipped Dodge Journey….

What I would still like to do is at least find an Avenger R/T and 200S rear sway bar, which would be larger than it has if not the Journey SE-V6 front and R/T-GT rear bars, which should be bigger still since the Journey is taller and heavier with basically the same drivetrain and is just a bigger version of this same platform. BC Racing coil overs, Whiteline Racing sway bar links, some sort of aftermarket exhaust, then maybe a TB, injectors (if needed) and an E85 tune that improves on what it’s already set up for when it comes to corn would all be nice too, but at that point, I don’t know if the 62te transaxle would take that as is, or if it could be upgraded to.

That said, it’s been used behind the 3.6l in the Grand Caravan, Town and Country, as well as the Journey in both FWD and AWD forms from 2011 to when each of these models were killed off and these two are still paired up in the Promaster vans, which all weigh from 500lbs (Journey) to 1400lbs (Promaster) more than the Avenger and 200, which should be around 3600lbs for the 3.6l/62te cars……..so who knows:dunno:

Back