• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diagnosing a Bum 2.5L

bad_idea

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All!

I have a 90 MJ with 2.5L and a 5 speed. I paid $400 for it and drove it on the trailer. Previous owner says the truck has sat since 2016 when the radiator leaked out and overheated.

I started tearing into it today. Swapped a good radiator into it. Runs a bit rough but runs, drove it up and down the road - has decent power. Blows smoke out of the valve cover. The CCV system is fully operational. Did a compression test - #1 - 120, #2 - 150, #3 - 165, #4 - 30. I did the compression test with the engine cold. I added a bit of oil to #4 cylinder and still got 30 PSI. I'm guessing something is catastrophically wrong with cylinder #4. What says you all?

I would like to fix it if I can cheap. If not then I'll let the truck sit until I can find a decent SBC to swap into it.

Thanks for the help.

agreed hopefully only a valve

Pull the valve cover and see whats going on up top. Could be a bent pushrod, bad valve, missing rocker. Or it could be more serious. Wont know until you open it up.

Back