• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

7k vs 10k Trailers

kcox506

NAXJA Forum User
I’m closing in on acquiring a trailer and keep going back and forth on what the best option is.

I see a lot of people tow their rigs with regular 3500lb axle (7k) trailers and be fine. But I also have been told by others who have 5000lb axle (10k) trailers, swear they pull better and you never have to worry about anything you throw on it. Basically added security and will also reduce wear and tear on hubs over time since they are much more than what is needed for typical use.

Lets say my cherokee is 4000lbs. I always find myself towing to the far reaches of Kentucky a few times a year for a race. Other than that, I’m in Charlotte area and everything is a hop, skip, and a jump away.

Is going 10k worth the extra expense or is a 7k perfectly reliable for towing a 4000lb jeep?

I found out the hard way that 7k lb trailer tires don't like states that don't have a 55mph towing speed limit, especially if it's hot. Lost 3 tires in 6 hours of driving, all less than 3 years old. Threw some 225/75R15Es on it and they barely kiss the top of the fender when it hits a big bump.

So, if you're fine with towing 60-ish everywhere, 7k is probably fine. Just make sure the frame has a wraparound tongue (4"+ C-channel goes all the way back to the axles) as a lot of dual 3500lb axle trailers are just angle iron and will fold up like a camp chair with a Jeep on there.

I found out the hard way that 7k lb trailer tires don't like states that don't have a 55mph towing speed limit, especially if it's hot. Lost 3 tires in 6 hours of driving, all less than 3 years old. Threw some 225/75R15Es on it and they barely kiss the top of the fender when it hits a big bump.

So, if you're fine with towing 60-ish everywhere, 7k is probably fine. Just make sure the frame has a wraparound tongue (4"+ C-channel goes all the way back to the axles) as a lot of dual 3500lb axle trailers are just angle iron and will fold up like a camp chair with a Jeep on there.

As much as I should be towing slowly. Im almost always 65-75 depending. Good to know on the frame differences. Not too knowledgeable on what’s normal or not. Makes sense to have the wraparound C channel.

Been spoiled with using our 10k trailer at work and I’ve only experienced one bad tire with it over the past few years. I’m leaning more towards 10k as is. I really don’t want to deal with tire issues.

10K gets my vote.

My cargo trailer came with 10K axles and I liked them enough that I swapped out the axles on my car trailer to be 10K as well. Bigger bearings and bigger brakes. Much better safety/reliability margin in my book.

I did over 20K miles towing last year. All of it long distance. Half of it pretty heavily loaded. Had one blowout. The blowout happened while running empty after one particularly heavy load.

I have 7-8k on my 7k trailer. Its a c channel frame no angle iron. I live in pa it's been to mish/Canada, Tenn /ky, Vermont and going to maine this fall. I've lost 2 tires in 5 years. I filled my tires with nitrogen and at 50 psi. my xj is around 5100 pounds. I do carry a whole set of extra parts bearings spindles etc. and 2 spare tires. i'll go ten k just do to how much I travel. and all the parts are bigger so less failure issues I would hope. I does 70 on the pa turn pike no issues. the ten k does offer a larger buffer, a ten k could cost around 2,000$ more then a 7k at most places. just a ball park number. and make sure it has tie downs, or stake pockets were u want/need them to be.

10K gets my vote.

My cargo trailer came with 10K axles and I liked them enough that I swapped out the axles on my car trailer to be 10K as well. Bigger bearings and bigger brakes. Much better safety/reliability margin in my book.

I did over 20K miles towing last year. All of it long distance. Half of it pretty heavily loaded. Had one blowout. The blowout happened while running empty after one particularly heavy load.

I can definitely see the benefit of the over trailered under control approach. But like all things in life, budget is a factor. In my area I can never find a decent price on a 10k, but I can find great deals on decent near new 7k trailers. Maybe down the road I can sell and upgrade.

I have 7-8k on my 7k trailer. Its a c channel frame no angle iron. I live in pa it's been to mish/Canada, Tenn /ky, Vermont and going to maine this fall. I've lost 2 tires in 5 years. I filled my tires with nitrogen and at 50 psi. my xj is around 5100 pounds. I do carry a whole set of extra parts bearings spindles etc. and 2 spare tires. i'll go ten k just do to how much I travel. and all the parts are bigger so less failure issues I would hope. I does 70 on the pa turn pike no issues. the ten k does offer a larger buffer, a ten k could cost around 2,000$ more then a 7k at most places. just a ball park number. and make sure it has tie downs, or stake pockets were u want/need them to be.

I can easily add tie downs where I want them. Welded will most likely ensue to get it setup the way I want it. As well as extra spares etc.

I can definitely see the benefit of the over trailered under control approach. But like all things in life, budget is a factor. In my area I can never find a decent price on a 10k, but I can find great deals on decent near new 7k trailers. Maybe down the road I can sell and upgrade.

Or you can do like I did and swap out axles. It was just a bit over $1K for new axles, springs and hardware from Etrailer. Run the 7K axles for the time being and plan to upgrade down the line. Then when you burn up a spindle you will already know where you want to go. If you start out with a 6 lug 7K now then you won't have to necessarily replace your wheels and tires at the same time you do your axles.

Or you can do like I did and swap out axles. It was just a bit over $1K for new axles, springs and hardware from Etrailer. Run the 7K axles for the time being and plan to upgrade down the line. Then when you burn up a spindle you will already know where you want to go. If you start out with a 6 lug 7K now then you won't have to necessarily replace your wheels and tires at the same time you do your axles.

That sounds like the best way to go right now.

Our light trailer is 14k. I like it because it matches my dodge wheels.

I've been him haughing around building a trailer purpose built for jeep and tows the skidsteer on the side. Itl have 7k axles and run a set dodge 3rd gen 17x8 wheels

I bought the lightest trailer I could safely haul a built jeep on (7K rail type trailer) because where i stored it, I had to drop it and then push it into its spot by hand.

If it was not for that requirement, I'd have bought a trailer big enough to put a tow rig on. If any of our locals has a tow rig go down out of town, the only trailer in our circles big and heavy enough to bring them home is 3 hours north of here. Long detour on a rescue mission. ;)

I'd look for a 10K 18-20 foot trailer and run it.

That said, I've had this trailer since 2010 and have replaced my wheel bearings once (preventative) and 2 sets of tires (have not had a flat since going to 10 ply 225/75/15's).

Maintain your bearings, keep good tires on it (buy quality) and a 7K trailer will hold up just fine.

Whatever you buy, the tires that come on it are probably total crap. I'd replace them right away and have 4 good spares.

Get a 10k. The brakes are bigger, it tows better, it handles the weight better, it gives you more peace of mind, you can haul larger vehicles if needed, and it doesn't cost that much more.

With as much money as we spend on our Jeeps and tow rigs, an extra $1k for a bigger trailer shouldn't be that big of a problem. If it is, maybe now isn't the right time to buy a trailer at all.

Put down one more for 10 ply (load range E) tires.

Also, while I don't generally like the idea of purchasing the tire store's "Road Hazard" policy, trailer tires are the one place where I see it making sense. Reason being it is much harder to detect something going wrong with a trailer tire than with a tire on a car/truck. All the sensory inputs that let me know something is going wrong are lost when the tires are that far away and that distantly connected. Additionally, a trailer is more likely to get dragged through the debris that collects in the gutter/side of the road.

For 14 years I had a 7k 16ft deck steel trailer. I ran that thing on the edge of 7k every time I used it. My maintenance plan was simple. Re-pack bearings every two years. New tires every four years. I only had troubles with a hub once when the bearing cap came off and water got into it. Never a flat on that trailer.

Three years ago, I decided I was ready to buy a new trailer. I had told myself since owning the other trailer, the next one would have a 20 ft deck, be aluminum, and have 10k axles. I bought that trailer and have loved every minute of owning it. It's also 250 lbs lighter than the steel trailer.

I've kept the steel trailer for around town tasks and my maintenance schedule has lessened due to being used less.

mac 'two trailers of fun' gyvr

I know I'm a little late to the game here, but I also vote for the 10k. If you're buying a quality trailer the only difference will be in the axles (Well at least that was the case on anything I was interested in buying). Avter borrowing trailers for a few years, and dealing with every one else's junk/ non maintained 7k trailers I was done with them. If you're not going far I get a 7k, but if you plan to go several hrs/days from home the added beef of the 10k axles are a godsend. My XJ weighs 5k with myself and a half tank of gas so for me wanting a 10k was a no brainier. I also wanted an aluminum trailer because I pull with a 1/2 ton truck. I looked at it as a buy once cry once endeavor.

Little update. Ended up with a 10k trailer. Bought it from Ironman who I had been borrowing it from all these years. Absolute steal of a price so it was a no brainer for me to snag it. With the history I’ve had towing with this thing, couldn’t be happier. I’ve never had a significant trailer issue with this one. It could have been a completely different story if it were a 7k.

D4Rm4Kfl.jpg

I'd like to see a long jevity report on aluminum. Iv not seen them hold up in the horse world on gravel rough rds

I'd like to see a long jevity report on aluminum. Iv not seen them hold up in the horse world on gravel rough rds

I've had mine for 3.5 years now. I use it at least once a month. It's a great trailer that I'm still happy with.

Pull it behind my RV, my f150, and my JT. Put all kinds of things on it.

The only thing issue I've have is that the beauty ring fell of one of the tires...

mac 'gravel, mud, pavement, you name it' gyvr

IMG_5045.jpg

Back