• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Racing against the grain

kcox506

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a build thread on Cherokeeforum for awhile. I like the NAXJA community better, but never really started a build thread here. So here I am. I'm the marketing manager for Ironman4x4fab, so needless to say my entire rig is of our products for the most part.

Lets dive right into it... 2000 XJ with a 4.0 from an 06 TJ. You can watch my video about the swap here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kSL1SGOjWk

So what I am doing is trying to build my XJ to a state to compete in a short course race at the Flats Offroad Park in Marion, NC. These are buggy guys that do timed heats. I am by no means gonna win the darn thing. I am out classed and out gunned in every way, but I just want to finish it to prove a point. Lots of laughed that me of all people, am throwing myself into the ring with Ultra4 level guys. Thats the motivation behind this build, but its just an excuse to document my build over time like I have been doing over on Cherokeeforum.

Current state as May 28th. Just got the rear 8.8 locked with an ARB. Geared with 4.10s (she's a daily driver too). TJ 44 in the front with WJ knuckles. Steering linkage, track bar, tie rod are about ready to go on. Made out of 7075T6 aluminum. 1 Tons of course. Has a rubi locker in it still. Managed to snag a Rubi Air Pump for it.

Misc specs:
AW4
231 with SYE, wide chain kit, 6 planetary gear setup
Adams Driveshaft in the rear
Stock driveshaft in the front but will have to get one made
D44 LP in the front
Front is stretched 2" ish and rear is stretched 1"
33" boggers in the rear and 33" KM2s in the front. (Combo for a reason / 35's eventually )
RE long arms (Ironman uppers),
Ironman Steering Box Brace with Sector Shaft Support
Ironman Motor Mounts with Motor Brackets
Ironman Track Bar Bracket and Cross Brace / custom trackbar
Ironman Shackle Relocation Brackets
Ironman adjustable Shackles
Full internal roll cage
4 Fox 2.5 7/8th shaft Remote Res shocks 11.5" travel and Valved.
SwayAway Rear Air Bumps
RE 3.5 coils.
XRC 9500 winch
Yaesu FT8800 UHF/VHF Radio (KM4NVR is my CS)
ARB OBA High Output Compressor

There's probably other stuff but oh well. These pics aren't concurrent with each other so bare with me.

One day...she will move again.. So feel free to join me on my crusade

Got the steering in for the most part. Need to clean up the threads on the draglink. I get a jam in there somewhere and can't get my Left had rod in all the way end where I need it. Toe is set with not much thread showing, which is what I want. Track bar needs an axle side joint that we should hopefully be able to make this week. After that steering is finished.

Next major thing is the Air Bumps. Then we can put tires on! :patriot:

As you can see it started to rain which ruined the motivation for the day. Still need to get that blasted OBA Compressor to work.

Looking good. Good luck! When is the first race?

Looking good. Good luck! When is the first race?

Well it was May 18th but that cancelled. Haven't said a new date yet, so I've got some more time to dot my I's and cross my T's.

Well it was May 18th but that cancelled. Haven't said a new date yet, so I've got some more time to dot my I's and cross my T's.

You have until July 4th..... After that you start getting flack from me......

You have until July 4th..... After that you start getting flack from me......

lol..June 29th actually. I have to trailer to Missouri to see the family, maybe hit a local jeep meet thing, and then head to the crawl :guitar:

Steering is in and adjusted, just not zipped in yet. Got the caster adjusted too. Next is to finish the Air Bump project and tap a new airline fitting for the locker.

I will say the tight clearances on this thing are sooooo awesome. You seriously cant gain another 1/16th of an inch anywhere. From axle to full compression to steering locked left and right. She's tight. Track Bar bracket could of gone an inch higher at the axle, oh well, maybe later.

I think that big heavy round thing was supposed to go back in........ :gag:

How's the angel on the TB vs the drag link? Looks close..... :eye:

Looks sexy! :cheers:

I think that big heavy round thing was supposed to go back in........ :gag:

How's the angel on the TB vs the drag link? Looks close..... :eye:

Looks sexy! :cheers:
lmao Don't worry that round thing came off that green abomination on wheels you left for us :looney:

That angle is so close, It needs to go up one inch on the axle side and we should be golden. When I was figuring that out wayyyy back in the day, I didn't foresee it being off. I'll fix it after the crawl probably. Unless I get really caffeinated.

lmao Don't worry that round thing came off that green abomination on wheels you left for us :looney:

Yea I feel bad enough..... It worked great while he beat on it..... :dunno:

I'll make it great again, I just need to make up some new curse words along the way. Already has an SYE, newer bilsteins, and brought my currie steering out of retirement with my now obsolete 7075 tie rod. I'm pretty excited to turn it around actually. Its called the Green Lantern (only sticker that remains) and its my Project Tactical Grocery Getter.

I'll make it great again, I just need to make up some new curse words along the way. Already has an SYE, newer bilsteins, and brought my currie steering out of retirement with my now obsolete 7075 tie rod. I'm pretty excited to turn it around actually. Its called the Green Lantern (only sticker that remains) and its my Project Tactical Grocery Getter.

We thought Green Lantern fit. Sounds like a plan!

EeKYwG6h.jpg
That jack stand on the drivers front makes me ascared.

That jack stand on the drivers front makes me ascared.

I see what you're talking about but it's been adjusted since that was taken. They're not going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New harness is in and engine runs just fine. I have a weird situation though. I have 3 plugs for O2 sensors, my jeep only has 2. I have a 2000 and the harness I got is off a 2000. The upstream sensor won't connect to the 02 plug on the harness side above the transmission. The down stream isn't long enough to reach the sensor.... then there's one plug up in front of the fuel rail going down from the thermostat. I'm at a loss there.

fd29a2ee28481a38ef6c6069007a326d.jpg

Got my switch panels from Dirtbound Offroad installed. I'm really satisfied with the clean look. Should of done this awhile ago.

9436380bcda42ef074e85d5eb470d6f6.jpg

Back