• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99XJ Trans/Torque Converter? Slipping into 3rd

Odarby

NAXJA Forum User
1999 Cherokee 4 speed auto;
Not a trans expert by any means so I thought I would ask after finding no clear answers from a search. The problem I am experiencing is that when the trans shifts from 2nd to third it does not lock right in. It shifts but not completely. It runs up about 200 rpms higher than full lock then seems so slide into gear completely. The higher rpms or (slip?) last about a full second to second and a half. Am I being critical here or noticing the prelude to oncoming problems? I had the fluid drained and filled with dextron today but did not seem to change anything. TPS?,..Torque converter?,..thanks for any thoughts or ideas.

Sounds to me like the bands are starting to slip... not familiar with the workings of this trans, but you might want to consider a trans service... have the bands adjusted, if that's doable on that model... just my 2 cents...

Locking up the torque converter will produce about a 200rpm drop. That's a common downshift that can look odd if you aren't expecting it.

1st
2d
Drive
Overdrive
Locked TQ

Jim www.yuccaman.com

DOH!!! Yep, you're right... :jester: as long as the RPMs don't rise and THEN fall...if the engine speeds up significantly before lockup or a shift, then he may be having slipping issues... my bad!:banghead:

BTW... wonder if he has the shift points right... said from second to third, then the slight delay... might have to go drive my Stratus and watch the tach... see what mine does... got me curious...

mopar440 said:
Found a good article on Chrysler automatics here
http://www.allpar.com/fix/trans.html
Might shed more light on yer question, Odarby...:roll:

Just be aware that the AW4 is not a Chrysler-made tranny, and it does not take ATF4. The Cherokee AW4 transmissions require Dexron-III. Putting ATF4 in the AW4 tranny can cause slippage and excessive heating.

As a side note, dealers and mechanics refilling Chrysler Minivan trannys with Dexron was part of the reason for their high failure rate.

Cool! See? You CAN teach an old trick new dogs... or something like that...

Back