• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Replacement

davidb72

NAXJA Forum User
1991 Cherokee with 20 gallon tank.

If you ever have to do this job, do yourself a favor and just plan on dropping the tank from the get go.

There is a rubber receiver that the return line has to feed into and without being able to see where it is it is almost impossible to hit and get the fuel pump seated right in the tank.

If you drop the tank you can remove the skid plate and clean everything up under there too.

I did it without dropping the tank yesterday and it bugged me all day because I wasn't happy how the new pump sealed to the tank. Put it up on jack stands tonight and did the whole job over again the right way.

Hope this helps someone in the future!

Definately agree with you on this one. i had to replace the fuel pump in my old 90 xj, its easy gettin the thing out with the gas tank still bolted on, but just couldn't seem to get it to sit right as you said, with the gas tank still up there. I ended up taking the gas tank out and dumped all the old gas into a bucket, and out came a bunch of small rocks and dirt, as well as brown gas. I put a bunch of fuel injector cleaner into a folgers can, and put the pump in there and ran straight injector fluid through the gas lines, thing ran like a champ when i got it all back together.

Yep, dropping the tank is the way to go.

I just swapped my old fuel pump and sender assembly back in today without fully dropping the tank and while everything seems to be back in place I know the ring is a little off kilter just by looking at it (not leaking so I'm not doing it again though). By comparison, putting everything together outside when I swapped the tank was cake.

i had my pump go out three hours from my house me my brother in law and cousin tried to replace it with a bottel jack and some basic tool and bent the tank and so make sure its not full and you have a good way to drop it

Back