• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix sending unit with a HO 49 psi fuel pump

Flash

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one tried this? will the fuel pump fit on the renix sending unit?

I now that form the Dealer that the 96+ fuel pumps come as a complete Pump module.

can ya get it separate from(the fuel pump) the aftermarket and will it fit or made to fit with out much hassle.

I'm going to have to put a pump and sending unit in my jeep soon just wondering if it would be worth while to put the newer pump in now to enhance the stroker project........ when i get there.

Flash.

I've wondered this, having a 90 Renix myself. I do know that the sending units are different as well as absence of the fuel return line on the 96 pump assembly. Whether or not that will make a difference I don't know.

Napa on the other hand lists a Bosch OE replacement fuel pump (NFPP74155) thats rated at 45 GPH for the 90 XJ.

Also listed is a Walbro fuel pump rated at 18 GPH (NFPP70457)

I'm currently running '95 22lbs (39psi) XJ fuel injectors on my '90 Renix and would like to use the '96 fuel injectors as they are rated at 23lbs (49psi). Please keep us updated on what you find out!

Slo-Sho said:
I've wondered this, having a 90 Renix myself. I do know that the sending units are different as well as absence of the fuel return line on the 96 pump assembly. Whether or not that will make a difference I don't know.

Napa on the other hand lists a Bosch OE replacement fuel pump (NFPP74155) thats rated at 45 GPH for the 90 XJ.

I'm currently running '95 22lbs (39psi) XJ fuel injectors on my '90 Renix and would like to use the '96 fuel injectors as they are rated at 23lbs (49psi). Please keep us updated on what you find out!

Did you mean 45 PSI in stead of GPH?

Would you have a link to Walbro? never used or sean one before but have heard go thing a bout then.........the Walbro would need to be mounted on the frame, external from tank? right.

With there only being a pressure line on the 96+ pump modules that mean that the pressure regular has to be part of the tank or pump module.(sending unit/pump assemble)

If they were the same size(renix/96+ pumps) i could just run an external regulator and then add a extra tube to the sending unit for regulator return!

I don't now Just throwing some thought out there.

Flash.

What about the hole fuel tank from a 96+ would it bolt right up or did they change more then just how you remove the sending unit.

Flash.

Dus any one now if the body was changed in this area the wouldn't let the sending unit clear or strapped differently?

Last edited:
Slo-Sho said:

You said to keep you up dated so this is were I'm at!

When i start this project i will be buying a pressure regulator here
http://www.hesco.us/shop.asp?action=details&inventoryID=43021&catId=7973
and probably the high volume pump that you suggested above.

the adj pressure regulator will give me the 49 psi that i desire and if its to much i will just turn it back down to stock psi (39)
this is all most to simple to get what i want..............but will be awhile due to all the cash that this will cost!

The neat part with it, is that i can make it work stock and i can make it work with a stroker!!!!:thumbup:

O and i must give credit where credit is due, this idea cam form the Yahoo stroker group.
I have read many times about the pressure regulators, but, tonight it sunk in!:idea:

Flash.

very simple to do with parts available everywher.1 use a hi volume fuel pump fer a a 90 ford mustang it will fit not directly but it will fit easily.2 use a fuel filter from a 03 grand cherokee the regulator is built in to it.For the filter all you have to do is plumb the return line at the filter it comes straght from the filter to the tank.use to line to the fuel rail plug the one fer the return line-or use a fuel rail from an 03 grand cherokee like i did.49 psi its return less

markaboo929 said:
very simple to do with parts available everywher.1 use a hi volume fuel pump fer a a 90 ford mustang it will fit not directly but it will fit easily.2 use a fuel filter from a 03 grand cherokee the regulator is built in to it.For the filter all you have to do is plumb the return line at the filter it comes straght from the filter to the tank.use to line to the fuel rail plug the one fer the return line-or use a fuel rail from an 03 grand cherokee like i did.49 psi its return less

What year is your Jeep.

Me and some friends did a total 4.0 4x4 AW4 swap on a 90 MJ. Used a 89 XJ waggy as a donor. The fuel pump was bad on the donor and I had a rolled 92 I bought for parts. I can't remember exactly what I had to do(was last year this time) but the HO pump went in with little difficulty and works great.

Its not going to do any good if you don't need it. Run a fuel pressure gauge up and tape it to the windshield, if it holds spec fuel pressure during an extended WOT run a pump mod will do you know good. We just used the HO pump because we had one.

Thank you all for your comments!!!:thumbup:

I think i need to explain my self a little bit more. I need new sending unit because the gas never now were it want to land and when it gets low on fuel and i shut it off,it will fail to start and keep running. then it just plan will not start at all pressure gos completely a way. the strange thing is that the pump is running..........it just will not pump up or pressure up fuel!
If you go to this link and read post #37 i explain it this strangeness more!

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243402881#post243402881

and it happened again last week at the gas pump with a tank full of fuel that i just put it.

OK so i need a new sending unit(so the gauge will work right) for my Renix jeep as well as a new fuel pump.

I plan on building a stroker and don't want to spend over 200 for fuel pump just to go.......wooops, NOW I need to buy a higher pressured,or higher volume pump to keep up with the stroker.

I want to buy what will work good for me now and in the future where fuel pressure and volume will be(could need to be) need to be increased.

BlueCuda, i have checked fuel pressure several time always good. I have wanted to put the pressure gauge on the wind shield and go mash the skinny peddle to See if the pressure drops.

from what i have learned here, the higher pressure pumps (49 psi) where on the newer HO, were they eliminated the return line......i thing around 99?

markaboo929, I had not realized that they and remove the permanent filter form the fuel sending unit back out on the frame were it belongs!

Flash.

Last edited:
the fuel filter i used is for an 03 grand cherokee.my jeep is an 1988 renix xj with an 03 grand cherokee motor. i used the original renix sensors an used the 03 tps that i modified to werk in conjunction with a voltage regulator used as a map modifier- home made-i did not look into the xj fuel system i did find that the regulator an filter are outside the tank so i used that to regulate the fuel pressure to the original returnless fuel rail that came with my 03 motor.werks great plus all parts can be found everywhere even autozone-and such just ask fo ra fuel filter for an 03 grand cherokee 4.0 an use a hi volume fuel pump for an late 80s mustang 5.0 in other words the fuel liter an regulator are one assembly it looks like a fuel filter the regulator is built inside of it.my motor is not a stroker an the mustang pump an grand filter/regulator assembly werks flawless plus it starts right up with the pressure being there almost instantly- also my long cranking starting times have gone away!!!!

Last edited:
Back